Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 12 March 2018

It's Not Easy Being Green!

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful

And I think it's what I want to be 
- Lyrics: Kermit the frog; The Muppets

Internet


Hello my lovely friends!
With St Patrick's Day coming up it's only proper that I share some green today. I do have a wee bit of Irish in me on my mother's side, so here goes...



What is it about green that grabs so many of us? Well, for me, it's always been a favourite colour. I actually have several favourite colours but green is a biggy, always has been. It reminds me of springtime and the freshness of newly budded trees and flowers. I have green eyes so it's a colour that I can wear fairly well. I am especially fond of a rich emerald green. I have always wanted an emerald green velvet dress. Who knows, with green making a come back on the colour wheel, perhaps I will find one.

My mother hates green! The other day Hubby and I visited her and he was wearing his favourite dark green shirt. She commented on his shirt and said she hates green, then she made a face! I laughed and opened up my jacket so she could see my dark green sweater. I said I love green and his shirt is my favourite on him. She was quite perplexed by it all. I have learned to not take her too seriously. 

In colour psychology, green symbolizes finding a balance between your head and your heart. In nature green means growth, renewal, and represents the season of Spring. Whenever your energy seems down-in-the-dumps, look to green for an uplifting spiritual refresher. This is particularly helpful to people living in the concrete jungle. 

So you see, green is good! It's very good.
Having said all that, here is my green today...


My little granddaughter and her daddy made a teapot holder. As you can see, it is green and pink. Just had to share that with you. I understand my son will be taking the potholder to work to set his coffee on. Now if you knew my son, you would get a kick out of that because he is what you would call, a man's man and pink is not one of his colours. He's tough as nails, does MMA, and you don't mess with him. But when it comes to the women in his family, he's a real softie!



Brother and sister enjoying a treat. My little guy is wearing green.



This cup was a gift from my youngest son a few years ago. He found it at the Botanical Gardens in MI one day when he was visiting there. It is an Irish cup as you can see and he's very proud of his Irish roots. Hubby is half Irish. 



One of my favourite colours of transferware is green and this was gifted to me by my hubby for Christmas one year. 


I have two cups and saucers and two dessert plates. The pastoral scene depicted on it just makes it that much more charming.


Tea is instant wisdom, just add water. ~ Astrid Alauda

My teapot is one I don't use very often and I should because it is such a cute pot. It's just a nice size for two or three cups of tea. Isn't the embossed green floral pretty on the bottom half of the pot?


The cream and sugar as well. The cream and sugar has beige on the bottom but they look like a tea set. There is no marker on any of the pieces.


Pretty pink tulips.

We are having Irish Breakfast tea today 

And some Irish Tea cake that I baked. 

This is a naked cake that would be perfect for a shortcake. 



It is actually very much like a cottage pudding I make and serve with brown sugar sauce but this recipe uses butter instead of shortening.

It would be prettier had I added the strawberry preserves, whipped cream, and strawberries on top of the cake before cutting it but real whipped cream doesn't keep well. So I opted to cut a couple of slices of the tea cake, spooned some homemade strawberry preserves over it, added a dollop of fresh whipped cream and placed a strawberry on top. Makes a lovely treat with tea or coffee. I may share the recipe later in the week if I receive requests.


Believe it or not, this is the first real dessert I have made since my fruit cake in November and it felt so good to make it!

Some of you are wondering how I'm doing so I will update you on my latest. I am going to physio twice a week for my arm/shoulder, wrist and hand and now I am able to go without the brace for long periods of time. I think I'm finally going to mend after being in pain with this for quite a long time. Surprisingly enough, I don't have carpal tunnel after all. Everyone thought I had CTS including the doctor but the EMG revealed I have tendinopathy. It is quite painful but I am hopeful that I will have the full use of my hand and arm in a few months.


"A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water."~ Eleanor Roosevelt


I hope you enjoyed my green. Happy St Patrick's Day to all you Irish ladies and to all those of you who are Irish on this holiday!




May the friendships you make,
Be those which endure,
And all of your grey clouds
Be small ones for sure.
And trusting in Him
To Whom we all pray,
May a song fill your heart,
Every step of the way.~ Irish Blessing


I am sharing this with the following parties ~

 Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Friends Sharing Tea
 Home Sweet Home


Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

20 comments :

  1. What a fun post! I agree that green is a very versatile colour. Your mom's strong aversion to the colour made me chuckle. I'm a fan of your pretty tea set as I have a fondness for things with a lace design.

    I'm glad to hear that they've identified the cause of your upper limb issues and that physio is helping treat the tendinopathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green has grown on me over the years. I was always more of a "blue" fan, since my eyes are blue, but I find that green is pleasant to my eyes...it soothes and cools when the sun is bright...and it seems to comfort me. I still don't wear a lot of green...more teals, but I like to look at green. Your post is lovely, and I am enjoying looking at all the green! But the strawberry shortcake is delightful! Especially served on the green transferware dishes. I am also part Irish, but actually Scotch-Irish and German, so just a good mix I guess. I always wear green on St. Paddy's day! Have a blessed and wonderful week. I hope your arm/shoulder will continue to heal and that you soon will be enjoying all the things you love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty table with all your lovely tea things together! So glad you are feeling better. Green has long been one of my essential colors. Happy St. Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post and photos . I to like green , I like all kinds of colours especially the colours of nature as it all soothes me so . Oh that desert looks delish and with a cuppa tea even better . Thanks for sharing and Happy St Patrick's Day to you and your family .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm just "green" with envy over your pretty St. Patrick's Day tea, Sandi (Not really!), but I wish I could join you. I soooooo love that teacup, and the darling plate, and your teapot, cream and sugar are wonderful, too. I'd love a slice of your cake with a cup of Irish breakfast tea.
    I loved seeing your son with his girl, and the two kids together. Don't you just love seeing their smiling faces? Happy St. Patrick's Day, my friend. I'll be wearing 'o the green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful green transferware teaset...What a wonderful family too!Your treats look delicious,mouthwatering!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention that I'm happy about you not having CTS, and hopefully your tendinopathy will be gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just listening to that song the other day with my almost-two-year-old nephew. He's totally obsessed with Kermit and he wants to listen to the different Kermit songs all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post! Perfect to start this wonderful day. I particularly love the photographs of your son and grandchildren. So sweet! I understand your mother's aversion to green. I happen to really like it but I don't care for brown at all. I haven't worn the color in 25 years and have eliminated it from my husband's wardrobe, too. I even find the color difficult to sew unless it is for something natural like trees or cookies or dirt. So silly, I know! Blessings for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sandi I love your Irish blessing... Perfect! I am so glad to hear you are improving. It’s been a difficult time for you. I love your Irish green! I must confess that green is not a favorite of mine, I am one eyed with blue and red a second place. Love the transferware and the claddagh cup. You son sounds like mine...tough on the outside but... have a lovely week, and thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post Sandi... I love the poetry and the photos of your son and grandchildren ... The children’s eyes just sparkle( Too cute) My father hated yellow( ha ha)...I guess as we get older it’s OK speak your mind( ha Ha).. Green inspires me and make me happy so I do enjoy St. Patrick’s day...actually March 17th is my Husband’s birthday so we’re always celebrating the wearing of the green. I do like the green transfer ware ..It’s quite unusual nowadays..So you’re fortunate to have a few pieces ... and it really compliments that charming teaset... My mouth is watering for a taste of your strawberry tea cake....M-m-m-good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green is such a beautiful neutral, goes with everything, yet it is such a jewel color! I love your green transferware! I'm going to have to keep my eye out for one or two teacups!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love green and white transferware too.
    Sweet pics of your family as well as your tea.
    Sounds like your Momma is still spunky!
    Glad to hear you are making improvements
    with you health.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your green transferware is so pretty. Unfortunately, we don't see a lot of green transferware dishes at Thrift Shops. Whenever a see a piece, I buy it. I have only 2 saucers.
    Green is my favorite colour. Like you, I am a green person. My birthstone in May is emerald green. The shortcake looks so delicious. What lovely grandkids you have. I'm glad to hear your health is improving. I hope you get that velvet green dress. Happy St. Patrick's Day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandi, glad you are getting the physio and are on the mend. Love your story (and photo) about your son, granddaughter and pink coaster! And you've reminded me that it has been a very long time--decades--since I've had a green garment. Maybe I need to do something about that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a bit late to your party but wanted to stop by. I decided to repost a St. Patricks Day post I did several years ago....
    ( http://agardenersart.blogspot ) I hope you will stop by. It seemed appropriate to repost rather than rewrite the same thing. As usual I love your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola mi querida hermanita Sandi ,muy hermoso spot . Me super encanta el verde ,es uno de mis tonos favoritos ,junto con el tono lavanda 😉😉. Es un tremendo encanto el conjunto de la tetera ,azucarero y lechera ,asi como las tazas y platillos en verde. Se ve delicioso ese pastel de the irlandés con frambuesas 😛😛. Muy romántico y encantador , las cortinas y salva-mantel en toile de jouy 😍😍. Precioso el jarrón de tulipanes🌷🌷. Me regocijo ,que estes mucho mejor, preciosa Sandi. Muy guapos tu hijo , así como tus nietecitos 😍😍💞👨👸👲. Muchos besitos , Dios te bendiga a ti y tu linda family 😘😘💕💚💚🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pili. I appreciate your visits and comments. May you have a blessed day!

      Delete
  18. Dear Sandi:
    Such great news on the improvement of your hand. I am sure you are ready for that as spring arrives. I admire your pretty green transferware plates and that sweet teaset. Your tulips makes us all smile. Thank you for sharing that lovely table all arranged so perfectly. Your family photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty. I have always been a Kermit fan. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.