Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Sunday 11 December 2011

12 Days of Christmas

Welcome to my Rose Chintz Cottage! Natasha at Keeping the Spirit of Christmas Alive 365 invited me to do a guest post for her 12 Days of Christmas Party and I thought it would be appropriate to talk about the importance of the real Reason for the Season.


Christmas is a most wonderful time of the year! I truly enjoy the music and the lovely decorations we see everywhere. I love the food, the gift giving, and joyous times with family and friends. All the traditions we enjoy as a family somehow have the ability to whisk me back to my childhood and every year at this time, I feel the little girl within me come alive once more.

But Christmas is so much more than that!
If not for Jesus Christ coming to earth as a Babe in a stable long ago, we would not be celebrating this beautiful season at all.

When my hubby and I were pastoring our church, we held an Advent service every week beginning on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. Each Sunday, a candle was lit followed by some scripture and we loved getting the congregation involved.

An Advent wreath of evergreens was made, representing eternity, and I arranged five candles in it.
Each candle represented an aspect of the spiritual preparation for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Source Internet

Advent Wreath Candles

Four candles are arranged in a wreath: three purple candles and one pink candle. In the center of the wreath sits a white candle. As a whole, these candles represent the coming of the Light of Christ into the world.

On the first Sunday of Advent, the first purple candle is lit. This candle is typically called the "Prophecy Candle" in remembrance of the prophets, primarily Isaiah, who foretold the birth of Christ. This candle represents Hope or expectation in anticipation of the coming Messiah.

On the second day of Advent, the second purple candle is lit. This candle typically represents Love. Some traditions call this the "Bethlehem Candle," symbolizing Christ's manger.

On the third day of Advent, the pink, or rose-colored candle is lit. This pink candle is customarily called the "Shepherds Candle" and it represents Joy.

The fourth and last purple candle, oftentimes called the "Angels Candle," represents Peace and is lit on the fourth Sunday of Advent. I oftentimes lit the pink candle the week before the white candle was lit.

On Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, the white center candle is traditionally lit. This candle is called the "Christ Candle" and represents the Life of Christ that has come into the world. The color white represents purity. Christ is the sinless, spotless, pure Saviour. Also, those who receive Christ as Savior are washed of their sins and made whiter than snow.

May we all remember the REASON FOR THE SEASON.

"For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a Baby wrapped in cloths, and lying in a manger. " ~ Luke 2:11-12 
 

This stable was specially built for me by a gentleman in our last church. All the figurines are from Avon and they date from about 1981-1989. Each one was a gift from a family member or friend so they all hold sentimental value. Every year I display my nativity in the china cabinet. 

"O come, all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant;
O come ye, O come ye to Bethlehem.
Come and behold Him, born the Kings of angels.
O come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord." 
 
Let us be glad and rejoice because Christ has come!

Thank you Natasha for having me. I am sharing this post on my Christmas Pudding blog as well.

From my home to yours ~  Merry Christmas!

Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

12 comments :

  1. An enjoyable post Sandi. Thank you for the reminder of the meaning of the advent candles, at our last church, the padre always had 4 purple ones.
    I wish Avon still sold some of the wonderful figures they had back in the 80's, and some of the other things too.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Sandi...from another pastor's wife. I intend to checkout the other blog you mentioned. Sounds like my kind of blog as well!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Sandi...love the information about each candle in the Advent wreath~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi, It never hurts to go back to bible class and refamiliarize oneself with the process and timing of the advent. As A child we lit the candles in our home and at some point it had fallen out tradition. Sadly, I fear, it has fallen away in many homes. It would be a wonderful gift to all to minister the meaning of the advent to as many who will listen. Maybe we will see more home participate in the blessing. Thank you for your post. I find it not only soothing to my catholic upbringing but also allows me as an adult to continue this blessing in our own home. Hugs to you. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post! Thank you for this inspirational reminder of why we celebrate Christmas! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked reading your post Sandi, as it reminds us all the true meaning of Christmas. The candles are lovely.Merry Christmas xx jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sandi,
    this is a lovely post. I love the different meaning of the candles. Here this knowledge got lost. We have just four candles, each for a sunday before Christmas. Anyway the wreath is always part of Christmas time. Your nativity is beautiful.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your lovely post. We have 4 purple and one white, so it is lovely to hear how another church celebrates. Enjoy the Christmas season, with family and friends.
    Hugs
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post, Sandi. Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy coming to your blog, Sandi and seeing what deightful things you are sharing. We have our advent candles out too along with our devotional book we have had since 1976 and read with the kids every year :)
    It is such a special time of year and your blog is so festive and so faith filled. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandi, what a fabulous post! I love reading about the reason we do what we do at this time of year!! xo HHL

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.