Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 18 December 2013

HOME for the Holidays



"At Christmas, all roads lead home." ~ Marjorie Holmes

Hello my lovely friends and welcome to my last HOME for the Holidays before Christmas!

I imagine you are all as busy as bees these days. I know I am. We have so much to be thankful for during this most enchanting of seasons and we all need to take time out of our busy schedules to relax. Take some time to enjoy the lights and music. A cup of tea or coffee always helps me to relax. How about you?

"Peace on earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day." ~ Helen Steiner Rice

Some of us have had a difficult year while others have sailed through it enjoying good health and making lots of lovely memories. I pray this coming year will bring you all peace, love, joy, and glowing good health.

This week I hosted a special tea party called a Sugar Plum Fairy Tea. You may click on the link here to visit it if you wish. I had fun putting it together. At Christmas-time especially, the little girl in me just has to come out and play.



I served a variety of sweets including my fruit cake which I make every year.



I promised to share my recipe for my fruit cake today.



This is my maternal grandmother's recipe and I have been making it for over thirty years. It has never failed me.



It is a buttery cake filled with lots of eggs and fruit. Even those who don't care for fruit cake, like this one. I hope you will give it a try.

Sultana Fruit Cake

1 small package sultana raisins {about 3 cups}
1 cup red cherries, cut in two
1 cup green cherries, cut in two
3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
3/4 cup mixed fruit
Mix with 1/4 cup flour and set aside while you prepare the batter. The extra flour keeps the fruit separated.

Cream together:
1-1/2 cups soft butter
1-1/2 cups white sugar
6 large eggs - beat in one at a time
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp lemon extract

Mix:
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Add to the creamed mixture alternately with
1/2 cup evaported milk or blend

When batter is all creamed together, mix in the prepared fruit. Pour into a prepared pan. I always use a 12 cup tube pan which is sprayed with PAM and lined with waxed paper.

Bake in preheated oven at 320 - 325 degrees for 1-1/2  to 2 hours. I generally bake the cake for about two hours. Now the secret to a moist fruit cake is to put a pan of hot water on the bottom rack in the oven and remove during the last hour.

Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely before removing it from the pan.
Wrap in heavy paper and tin foil. I always put it into a large freezer bag too. Store in a cool dark place. This cake will keep for some time.


Here are some features from last week's party~

Sherry at The Charm of Home set a beautiful snowy Christmas cottage themed dining table. She also had the most views on her post.


Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home shared her festival of Christmas trees. Love the candy tree!She had the second highest number of views on her post.



The next two posts were tied for the third highest views...

Poppy @ Poppy View shared her Tea with Santa, Mrs. Claus, and herself.  She also shared some lovely Christmas memories.



And Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas shared her Christmas home tour. Here's a lady who goes all out to decorate for the season.



Cecilia @ Casa Cecilia shared her tutorial on how to make her darling gingerbread Christmas boxes. So cute!

Congratulations, ladies! And thank you friends for welcoming us into your HOMES every week. You are the ones who make this party so much fun.

Since this is my last HOME party before the Holidays, I want to wish you all a bounty of blessings and I hope you will come back and join me again next year. Till then take care and have a fabulous Christmas season.

Jesus is the Gift that perfectly fits the size of every heart.

From my HOME to yours, Merry Christmas!

"And she gave birth to her first-born son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." ~ Luke 2:7




Jesus is the Reason for the Season!


I am joining the following parties as well~

What's It Wednesday~ http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/
Christmas Cookie Exchange Link Party ~ http://www.adelightsomelife.com/
Share Your Cup Thursday~ http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home~ http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

31 comments :

  1. Sandi,
    Thanks so much for the feature!! i gave you a Shout Out in my latest post.....

    Thanks also for the party and for all your visits!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try this cake recipe. What is the measurement/quanity in the small box of sultanas? How many cups is the tube pan 10 or 12?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandi, thank you for your wonderful Home for the Holidays today. Such wonderful (always) features. Have a Blessed Christmas.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your tea parties and Home for the holiday, there is just something all warm and sharing about these posts especially when recipes are included as well. For sure we all have such busy lives, and then we pack more on our to do lists at this time of year.... what are we thinking. Thank you for sharing the ladies with us they all have such beauty to offer each and everyone.

    I have to be thankful for my health though an more than thankful to be here. The complications over the past year from surgery has caused me many days not able to manage. This doesn't get me down because I am truly blessed and grateful. With wonderful friends and family around me for support it seems to gleam like a few of your Christmas decorations.

    I wish you the best holiday ever, and thank you for hosting HOME. It truly has been a place for many to share and care about each other. I'm about to go away venture down south soon and by the time I return I'll be getting in the busy season. May your Home continue to bring Joy. I can't see much out my windows right now, but looking ahead into the new year I wish you joy peace and happiness while your relax with tea.
    Hugs... Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandi,

    Firstly, thank you so much for featuring my 'Christmas Tea', and if we had had your delicious and pretty fruitcake, the tea party would have been so much more enjoyable!

    Every visit to YOUR Tea Time and HOME is always such a delight, with specially made sweets and charming tablescapes. I am excited to pop on over to your Sugar Plum Fairy Tea now, to marvel at all the whimsy!!

    Thanks for hosting and hope you are having a wonderful and peaceful Christmas season!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the feature Sandi! I am taking it easier next week too. I will put on a Happy Christmas post and then the party and that is it. I am going to be doing a lot of cooking since Christmas is at my house this year. Have a very blessed Christmas with your family and Happy New Year!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandi! Oh, what a beautiful tea setting! It's so sweet and festive. That fruit cake looks good. I love fruit cake and fell I'll like yours even more. I will have to copy this! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what lovely pictures! I enjoyed visiting your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sandy...your home is so fairy! Thanks for the delicious recipe and for the gorgeous pictures. Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandi, your Sugar Plum Fairy Tea is absolutely divine!! Oh my how very sweet and colorful and fun. And your fruit cake looks and reads D E L I C I O U S!!!!! I am pinning this.

    May you and yours have the most joyous Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet and festive home! I like how tall this fruitcake is. It doesn't look as dense as others. Would love to have tea time at y0our house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly magical, Sandi! Thanks for the party :) Christmas hugs from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi,
    I just might try my hand at your recipe one day - your cake looks absolutely delish. I love to see a colourful fruit cake at Christmastime. It always reminds me of coming home from school in the days leading up to Christmas and the buttery scent of my mother's fruitcakes baking in the oven wafting through the kitchen window as I climbed the steps to our front door. That is probably one of my strongest memories of Christmas past. I can almost still smell it...LOVE
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sandi - Your post is so adorable. I love, love, love your table. I think it brings out the little girl in all of us. I will keep your cake recipe for another time. It looks delicious. Hoping to pop by and join your linky party tomorrow. It has been such a busy time with all the preparations and kitty-sittin'. Have a wonderful Christmas, Sandi. The best to you and all your family. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. It has been my pleasure to party with you this year, Sandi...thank you so much for having us every week! I want to wish you and your loved ones a blessed Christmas and a happy New Year ...hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart is full. I have my grand daughter and partner and my darling Great Grandchild asleep in the cot right now. What a blessing I have been given.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. All soo very pretty ! You just gave me a memory of my mums fruit cake the only difference to hers was she did a white hard icing on top we always used to tease her and ask if she made the cake with the concrete icing at every Christmas and she did for over 40 years that cake was made, mind you it would be all gobbled up lol Thanks for hosting and sharing . I am off to have tea and shortbread cookies yummy ! Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sandi, your Sugar Plum Fairy Tea looks so delightful! I use to love a slice of fruitcake. My mom made a white one which I loved. Haven't made in quite some time. Yours looks delicious. Wondering if I have time to try making one? Have a very blessed and Merry Christmas!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sandi! That fruit cake looks absolutely scrumptious! And I am loving your green transferware:) Very pretty tea setting! It has been fun partying with you this year at your HOME, visiting your beautiful tea parties and I am looking forward to next year:) Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, prosperous New Year! Thanks for all the wonderful parties this year and for sharing this yummy recipe with us:) Holiday hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sandi, this is just the cutest thing! I love it! I smiled the minute I saw that fairy and the table. Soooooo cute!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so enjoyed seeing your fairy table again, Sandi. You put together the sweetest vignettes that just make me smile. The fruitcake sounds wonderful. I wish I could share a slice with you and a cuppa tea. Merry Christmas blessings, sweet friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Sandi, Stopping by to say hello and wish you a Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with peace, joy, love, and good health. I enjoyed your post today. The little house and the fairy are adorable and I enjoyed your features as well. The fruitcake looks very good! Would love to sit over tea with you. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kitchen is beautiful.I love it.I have a candy land theme on my christmas tree in my kitchen.I will post on my blog soon.Your kitchen is lovely though.The table and chairs look vintage and I love them as well.Merry Christmas,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. That little angle on your table is so sweet! I love that you added the reason for the season. Merry Christmas - Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful post Sandi,

    Wish you a wonderful Christmas Time !

    Blessings,
    Wilma, Shabby Royale.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful and magically tea you set for Christmas! Everything looks so pretty. And wonderful features. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your fruitcake looks delicious. Lovely features, too. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sandi I wanted to stop over to tell you to have a very Merry Christmas. I enjoy your blog very much.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Sandi, always a joy to join your party -I do appreciate you hosting and sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely with recipes that have been passed on from one generation to the next. looks very yummy too. I would love to give it a try. I also have a recipe from my grandmother that I will make this year. This will be my first christmas without her, and I like to have at least one of her recipies on the table.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love love love the table. It's so colorful and pretty. You have such an amazing talent to showcase the beautiful. Wondering if you guys are getting hit with all the snow. If yes...stay safe and warm. Hugs Sandie...from my heart to yours.

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.