Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 11 January 2021

A Birdie Theme in Red and White

January opens the box of the year

And brings out days that are bright and clear.
And brings out days that are cold and gray;
And shouts, "Come see what I brought today." -LB Jacobs

Hello dear friends and Happy New Year!
The majority of us are thrilled that 2020 is behind us and we are hoping for a better year ahead.

I shared in my previous post how difficult the past year had been for most folks, including me. Well, since I wrote that post, I have had some more bad news. I have just been diagnosed with Glaucoma. Last Monday, the day of the diagnosis, I was a bit upset! I thought, "Dear Lord, how much more can go wrong? How many more meds am I going to have to take? I feel like a walking pharmacy."

The eye drops I have to administer twice a day for the rest of my life, brings me to a total of thirteen times a day, I am taking medication. Alas, many of my issues are genetic so I'm literally stuck with them for better or for worse. This is not a good way to start the year off.

But today is another day, and things look a little brighter because I know the Great Physician! I am in the Lord's hands, and I am trusting Him to take me through this. I don't know why I am so afflicted with all these health issues. I only know His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He is watching me. 

Music has always ministered to me and the song, His Eye is On the Sparrow, is what has been going through my head the past week.


Why should I feel discouraged, 
why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav'n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
Refrain:
I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. 
Words- Civilla D. Martin 1905
Music - Charles H. Gabriel 1905

This is my little sparrow which I painted and distressed years ago.

Since my last post, I have celebrated another birthday. I never bake my own cake so my hubby 
ordered me a white pound cake with white buttercream icing and roses. When he went to pick it up, they discovered my cake had been sold to someone else. He was surprised of course, so they straight away got another cake and decorated it with white roses. They are not the original roses he wanted but it was all he could get at the last minute. The good news is, they gave him the cake for free which was nice! Wouldn't it be nice if the plastic plate they put the cake on was white or ivory? At least they didn't put my name on it. I don't like script on a cake unless one is a little child.
I received the sweetest card from my son and his family in the States! It is uniquely made in several layers with cutouts. So pretty!


My oldest son, who had the ear surgery just before Christmas, is still having some pain, but it is getting better. The good news is, he is beginning to hear some sounds in his ear, so that is encouraging! His surgeon told him last week that it could take up to three months before his ear is completely healed. We are hoping for the best possible results, and if you have been praying, please pray a little longer? He was so encouraged to know that my blogger friends were praying for him!


I have set the tea table with a piece of my cake. Would you like to join me?

I am using my red and white transferware because of the lovely table cloth and roses. The lace topper was a gift from a friend quite some time ago. I love it! 


The bird inspired teapot is being put to use today because I am so enjoying all the birds at the feeders. I saw several Juncos actually fly inside the feeders. They are normally ground birds so I was happy to see them getting in there and having their lunch. We have been seeing a lot of birds lately. Chickadees, Juncos, Goldfinches, and Evening Grosbeaks seem to be around a lot.

The bird teapot was a Christmas gift a number of years ago and it is rather heavy so I don't use it very often but I do love the birdie motif. It holds a good amount of tea. 


My tea today is one sent to me by a sweet blogging friend. It is Dessert by Deb, Orange and Ginger Shortbread Rooibos tea. Can't wait to try it!

Serenity is a solitary cup of tea; pleasure is sharing it with another. ~ Victoria magazine

The teacups are Masons Vista and  Burleigh Felicity by Staffordshire, England.




The creamy roses were a lovely surprise.

We have had some snow the past few days and those who can, are enjoying it. My neighbour was outside helping his boys build a snowman.  
The finished snowman with his hat and scarf.
I enjoyed watching the little family play together in the snow. It is the simple things in life that make me happy.

Sometimes you have to let go of the picture of what you thought life would be like and learn to find joy in the story you're living. ~ unknown

Before I close my post, I must share this lovely snowy scene taken by one of our talented Island photographers; Ian Carter. 

His caption read, "A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight walking in a winter wonderland." - in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.


Yes, even in the wintertime, the Island is a beautiful place.

Beauty of Our Friendship

Friendship is a priceless gift that cannot be bought or sold,
But its value is far greater than a mountain made of Gold.
For gold is cold and lifeless, it can neither see nor hear
And in the time of trouble it is powerless to cheer...
It has no ears to listen nor heart to understand,
It cannot bring you comfort or reach out a helping hand
So when you ask God for a gift
Be thankful if He sends not diamonds, pearls, or riches
But The Love of Real True Friends. ~ Helen Steiner Rice


Have a wonderful week, dear friends!


Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

18 comments :

  1. Sandi, I am sorry about the health issues you've had, but glad you know that God is with you and will help you.

    I have a Masons Vista tea cup. Your teapot is so very sweet. I'm glad your birthday was a good one. Your cake looks delicious, and I'd love to share a slice and a cuppa with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sandi, Belated Happy birthday! I'd be happy to join you for a cup of tea and a piece of that delicious and pretty cake. Your red and white birdie theme is lovely. I'm so sorry to hear about your health issues, and to have another one added is indeed discouraging. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and give you daily grace.
    The snowy photo is beautiful - and I purchased some chocolates in that very shop when we were there a number of years ago - in June, so no snow then!
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, my friend, I’m so sorry to hear about the glaucoma. You, however, always fun the positive in whatever situation you are facing. I’m happy that you had such a beautiful ( and free!!) birthday cake. Prayers will continue for Jeff and for you and your hubby. Thank you for all the quotes and verses that you share for us to enjoy. Love and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday! The make up cake is so pretty I can only imagine what the one your dear hubby ordered looked like. I'm happy to read an update about your son's ear and healing. I will continue to pray as God brings him to mine which He has been doing!
    It's good to have the comfort and hope in our Lord when we have to deal with health setbacks. May God continue to encourage you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to join you for a cup of tea and slice of your birthday cake!

    I'm sorry to hear about the glaucoma. Let's hope the eye drops will help manage it and keep your vision healthy. I'll also remember your son in my prayers.

    I've always admired your red and white transferwares. What did you think of the Orange Ginger Shortbread Rooibos? That's what I drank this afternoon.

    I really like the quote by Unknown! Now that I'm home all the time (and don't have to travel anywhere), I wouldn't mind a little snow to make things pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creamy roses, creamy cake, people that love and appreciate who you are. May your birthday give you joy and hope, even as you deal with the glaucoma diagnosis.

    Bless you during this time of adjustment, Sandi ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday! I am sorry for your health issues,I hope things get better soon...I am glad your son are on the mend,I will pray for you both. Your cake is beautiful and looks delicious.Sweet card of your family!Stunning table with fabulous tea set. Great snow pictures. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sandi ~ Belated Happy Birthday! The cake looks delicious, the card is lovely and I love your table setting. May you feel God's comforting love and peace surrounding you ~ Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, FlowerLady, for your lovely wishes and your visit! Have a wonderful New Year! Hugs to you too...Sandi

      Delete
  9. Hi Sandi, Happy Belated Birthday from another Sandi! My Birthday is in 2 weeks and I will be 70. Your cake is so pretty I’m going to take it to the Bakery and have one made like it for me. I’m sorry about your eyes and health problems. I was told last week I need a defibrillator and will be getting that done this Thursday. I was very surprised. If it keeps me going longer that’s a good thing. Your dishes and pictures are always so charming. Have a great day. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sandi, Thank you for the birthday wishes. I am sorry you have to have a defibrillator but it will certainly help you live a better life! It is no fun getting older when we are not in good health. The Lord bless you and be with you on Thursday and in the coming days and weeks! Hugs to you...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear your eye news but will pray for you and like you, will trust the Lord. Here I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself as I just had one eye surgery for cataracts. Nest one in Feb. But God....He knows what we need and when we need it as I decided to try and do a little blogging today and your post was the first one I saw in my email list. So glad to hear your son is better as well. I have often thought what would it be worse, Not to hear or not to see. Praising the Lord that I can do both right now. I love your red and white and that cake looks delicious Sandi. Blessings to you and your family. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happt Belated Birthday and that cake is very pretty anyway. Love your Mason tea cup and gosh enough is enough when it comes to aches and pains for sure.
    Hopefully you will have a much better year health wise
    here's thinking about you

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Sandi! Such a pretty table. So glad to hear that your son is recovering from his ear surgery. Praying he will soon be able to hear out of that ear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you. Your white cake with roses was beautiful. I loved all your pictures of your tea time and decorations. I am sorry you are having to deal with so much health concerns. I will be sure to keep you and your son in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Sandi! Your cake looks beautiful! I especially love the last photo of downtown Charlottetown. I miss my island home. I was sorry to hear of your latest health issue. I'm sorry you have to take so many meds for your ailments. If you are interested in helping your health with natural supplements that work on correcting gut health (which is the cause of most of our problems), please message me anytime. I'd be glad to share with you what I've been taking for over six years. They are high-quality, 100% natural. You can message me at blsfromaway@gmail.com I'll be praying for you and your situation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sandi, so sorry about the glaucoma diagnosis on top of everything else. But you handle it all so well. Glad your son is continuing to improve. Your cake looked lovely, and the price (free!) can't be beat! Your photos, as always, are beautiful and make we want to step right in and join you for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I am SO sorry to hear about the glaucoma, Sandi. I pray that with proper medication it won't become a real problem for you. May the Lord send His healing touch to your eyes. I love your teapot with the bird on it, and the little sparrow that you painted. So sweet. We love watching the birds here too. Just don't have as many interesting ones as you. I will continue to pray for your son's ear to be healed as well. I love the song "His Eye is on the Sparrow". We need to remember that in these turbulent times. Please take care and enjoy your beautiful snow days. Your cake was lovely, btw. So nice of the store to do it for free...and it really is pretty. Happy Birthday! May God bless you and keep you strong and give you renewed health day by day.

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.