Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Mid-October Pleasantries

What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet. ~ Anne Frank


Hello my lovely friends and welcome back to Rose Chintz Cottage!
Thanksgiving has come and gone for another year. As many of you know, Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October which is a wonderful time for the holiday. The trees and landscape are filled with glorious colour and it is still not overly cold out. It is a delightful time of year to partake of veggies from the garden and succulent turkey and gravy. Pumpkin and apple pie is on almost everyone's table as well as other decadent desserts. 
Then we have the next two and a half months to decorate and prepare for the biggest holiday of the year, Christmas. Can you believe we are actually talking about Christmas again already?
This year, I am going to start decorating early. They say those who put up their tree early are happy people. And we could all use a little bit of Christmas earlier this year. Normally I wait until after Remembrance Day on November 11 but early Christmas decorating will not interfere with my honouring our soldiers and those who have fought and still fight to keep our countries free.

Here is a bit of trivia for you. A couple of my American blogger friends wondered if we had turkey for dinner on the holiday and if we celebrated like they do. The answer is, yes.

Our Canadian Thanksgiving takes place on the second Monday in October, while America celebrates on the fourth Thursday of November. The earliest recorded Canadian Thanksgiving actually dates back to 1578 - which is before the Pilgrims and the Native Americans feasted at Plymouth in 1621.

Every province and territory in Canada claim it as an official statutory holiday except for Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Although my hubby had the day off, he does not get paid for it. But it is still very much a holiday here on the Island.

Saturday morning I baked my pies. 




I set my antique jug of dried hydrangeas on the table for our tea today.



I brought out my peach coloured cup and saucer from Royal Chelsea made in England which is so pretty with the posies peeking out of the cup. It sits on one of the plates from Sur La Table which was a gift from my son for Christmas one year. Snuggled up to the plate you can see a 'blessed' napkin. Hubby saw them at the grocery store and brought them home.






The soup bowl set my son gifted me for Christmas a few years ago. The set consists of four covered soup bowls and four plates. I love it!



The Pumpkin pie was a success.


My pictures are not very clear today for some reason. I had a lot of trouble loading my pictures from Picasa onto my blog post. I hope it is not a prolonged problem. I am not thrilled with this new format Blogger is using now.

Last week we received some very good news from our son out on the west coast but I cannot tell you about it just yet. In the middle of this pandemic crisis we are all in, it is especially wonderful to receive some good news for a change! This past year has been incredibly difficult and sad for Hubby and me for many reasons but as they say, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. God is still there and He still answers prayer, oftentimes in ways we never expect.

God does His deepest work in our darkest hours. ~ AW Tozer

I hope your week is a delightful one and today and every day, may we all be thankful for the many blessings in our lives.


Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

12 comments :

  1. So happy you had a nice Thanksgiving and enjoyed a delicious dinner. I don't know enough about Canada to understand why your province does not have it as a holiday, but every country is different. I love your little tea cup today...such a lovely fall color! And then those pumpkin soup bowls! How wonderful! I am happy to hear that your son has given you some good news, and we will anxiously look forward to hearing about it in due time. Yes, good news is always welcome, but especially this year! I think we have all had enough of this year of isolation and sorrows. I believe we will all be looking forward to having a happy Christmas to celebrate and cheer our homes and families after so much difficulty. Have a blessed and wonderful week dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pamela! Thank you for the visit. The Island does indeed celebrate Thanksgiving, as does all of Canada. When my hubby worked for the government, he got paid for the holiday, but the job he works at now is at a sporting goods store, and although they do celebrate the day, the staff does not get paid for it. Don't ask me why! It is still very much a holiday here. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really interesting as I had no idea when either America or Canada celebrate thanksgiving. I've never tasted pumpkin pie but would love your recipe if you would be happy to share it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving. Glad you have good news regarding your son, glad your pumpkin pie turned out! We should take delight in all these gifts, even if they seem inconsequential. I always wish our Thanksgiving was earlier in the season, than so close to Christmas. Christmas wasn't a very big holiday when they chose that date, but now it is, and so many people complain about Christmas decor being put up before we've celebrated Thanksgiving. Since I do mostly natural decor for Thanksgiving and Autumn anyway, its not a big deal to start bringing in red plaid and some other decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you have some good news. I think we all have been in a state of unrest this year. But I like your idea of early decorating. We don't host Thanksgiving, so maybe we will start early too :-)

    Blessings,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanksgiving is one of my favourite holidays - so much joy in getting together for a meal. I'm always glad to be Canadian, but especially so at Thanksgiving in October. Your pumpkin soup bowls are adorable! I look forward to the time when you can share your good news from the west!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi,
    Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day!! I have always said that Canada celebrated it when it should be celebrated...during the Harvest and not at the end of November like we do when the harvest is long gone!!! Everything you shared here in this post is stunning!! So warm and inviting...Happy to hear you have gotten some good news...we all need a bit of that..Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words...Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that Thanksgiving wasn't a stat holiday in PEI, NB, and NS.

    I've always admired your peach teacup.

    I tried to resist the new Blogger interface for as long as possible. But had no choice when they removed the "Legacy interface". The inconsistent formatting is frustrating, but I've come to accept the double spacing in my posts. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sons give your such special gifts, Sandi, and I know you take delight in them. I'm so excited for you to get some happy news. Yes, we all need some light at the end of the tunnel. Your pies looked so tasty, too. I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving in October like you, so that we could enjoy the Christmas decorations for a longer period. We will all look forward to hearing your happy news. Thanksgiving blessings to you, dear Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always gorgeous posts...That teacup is stunning!Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Sandi of Prince Edward Island,
    Oh, again, thank you for your shared thoughts, photos and adventures. Happy Thanksgiving from the USA! Thanks for taking the time to share all you do, it is quite a blessing to receive.
    Blessings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, USA

    Lady Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pumpkin pies look delicious! I do love it so!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.