Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Thursday 25 June 2020

A Few of My Favourite Things

I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

It is officially summertime and I love it! Our lawn has gone from sporting dandelions to being peppered with buttercups, clover, and devil's paintbrush. Although I don't like the name of that last wee flower, I have fond memories of them carpeting my grandmother's front yard in the summertime. There was a mix of the yellow and orange at her place. I don't see any orange here.
The flowers don't bother me at all. Hubby has to keep the lawn cut because of where we live but a week's worth of posies make the bees happy, I'm sure.

After posting my "heart to heart" story last week, I received so many lovely comments of well wishes and encouragement. I admit, a tear or two fell. My hubby was also touched by your kindness. 
Someone said that oftentimes our blog friends know us better than our "real" friends. Here, when one shares from their heart, a group of blogging friends will wrap you in their virtual embrace and you know you are cared for. It is a beautiful thing here in Blogland; like a village! The prayer support here spans a great deal of the country, both yours and mine, and sometimes, the world. Thank you, all of you; you are loved!

I have decided to do something a little different this week. Today, I am sharing some of my favourite things with a photo if I have one. I would love to hear if any of mine match up with yours. 

My favourite apparel- That has changed over the years. Before my hubby and I were married, I usually wore a dress. You know those cute little mini dresses with high boots? I used to love to dress up and but now I'm much more comfortable in jeans, a top, and sandals. And a hat, can't forget the hat! Of course when the cold weather comes, I trade in the sandals for boots or sneakers. I'm not tall and leggy like the model below and the sandals could be a little lower in the heel, but this outfit is so me!

Favourite jewelry- Besides my wedding rings, that would be earrings. I think earrings dress up any outfit. And I don't mean those long dangly ones!

My favourite colour - I love the full colour spectrum. I cannot wear black, grey, or white next to my face because of my colouring but I like it on those who can wear it. I also love red which I have in my kitchen-dining area. Red toile, that is. My grandson claims my favourite colour is white because I have so much white furniture. He's a cutie! But robin egg blue, pink, and green really are my favourite colours. They make me happiest. Below, a wall in my living room. The eagle is a piece I did years ago. Isaiah 40:31

Favourite food- I love food and I savour it. Sometimes I eat too much of it, especially bread.  A chicken dinner with all the trimmings; dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, the works, would have to be at the top although I do enjoy roast beef with Yorkshire pudding too. I haven't made that in a while because we don't eat a lot of red meat. 
I also love homemade pizza and lasagna.

Favourite 'strange' food- dulse {dried seaweed} and apparently, the best dulse comes from Atlantic Canada where I live.
Dulse contains significant levels of calcium and potassium which help your bones strengthen and become more resilient. Benefits of dulse also include helping to lower your blood pressure, improve your eye sight and improve the health of your thyroid gland.

Favourite dessert- Sticky date pudding with toffee sauce. I think I could eat pumpkin pie any time. My favourite cake is without a doubt a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Favourite beverage- water with a slice of lemon

Favourite scent- the scent of summer wafting through open windows. I wish I could bottle it! 

Favourite place to go- the beach when I am able. You knew that, didn't you?
Once your feet have touched the warm sun drenched sand of the seashore you will never be the same. ~ Patsy Gant

Favourite flower/bouquet- There are so many flowers to love. However, roses or a bouquet of carnations/roses are my favourite. My fav colour of rose is pale blush pink or white. I like daffodils, tulips, lilacs, and lupins too.


These are my own roses, Theresa Bugnet.








I don't really have a bucket list because I don't travel any longer but if I could...
Favourite place to go visit- Charleston, South Carolina and England.
Why Charleston? After reading the tea shop mysteries by Laura Childs, I would love to experience the charm and history of this place. England of course is where some of my ancestors hailed from. My youngest son has been to Europe many times and like him, I would really appreciate seeing the architecture. He plans to visit England one day. I wish I could go with him. We would have a marvellous time!

My favourite teapot- Royal Albert Old Country Roses because it was a birthday present from my family and it was my father's favourite pattern.

Favourite china pattern- Any guesses? Johnson Brothers Rose Chintz. Loved it since I was a little girl.


Favourite songbird- Goldfinch


Favourite movie- Historical dramas, romantic comedies, and mysteries.

Favourite actor- Denzel Washington

Favourite music- worship music, hymns, old love songs by the Bee Gees, and classical. When I was music director at our church, I always mixed the music up. I chose the new songs and incorporated the hymns too. That way, you keep everyone happy. And as beautiful as some of the newer music is, there is something special and nostalgic about the old hymns we remember from childhood.


Michael W. Smith whom my son has seen every time he does a concert in Vancouver, B.C., has been a favourite for years.
I also like Robin Mark from Ireland who comes to the Island every year and puts on a concert and a worship seminar. He loves it here because he says it reminds him of Ireland. He won't be coming this year however because of the virus. Schotzy, you would love it! 
The Bee Gees; three brothers from England who composed and sang the most amazing love songs.


Favourite past time- Going to the beach when I am able. Listening to music or reading when I can't. Both music and reading transport me to a different place just as the beach does. It goes without saying that spending time with my family tops them all. Sadly, they were all coming home this summer and now they can't because of the restrictions due to covid 19. 

Favourite collection- Transferware, china, and silver tea spoons. I have collected many things over the years including rocks from around the world. A couple of blogging friends sent me rocks too. I will have to show you my rock collection one of these days.

Favourite holiday- Christmas


The Lena Liu ornament was a gift from my mother. 

Favourite season
- late Spring and Summer

This is a drive through our Victoria Park in Charlottetown. Love the trees! You can't see it but to the right is the water where the sailboats have their races.



That's it for today. Thank you for joining me and let me know if any of my favourites match your own. And don't forget to stop and smell the roses!
For flowers that bloom about our feet;
For tender grass so fresh and sweet;
For song of bird and hum of bee;
For all things fair we hear and see,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson 


Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

19 comments :

  1. I love this post....we share a lot of likes and I learned a few things. Never heard of the dried seaweed!! I wish I could wear hats. I love them but I always feel self conscious. I do wear hats when I walk to protect my skin but I really love the old days when ladies wore hats everywhere. And I hate that nurses so longer wear caps. I loved wearing my school cap proudly when I worked as a nurse. Thanks for sharing your heart with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart on such a lovely blog. I just found it this morning as I was searching for information on Rose Chintz. My beloved mother and best friend has passed away this month and I'm preparing to bring her lovely Rose Chintz home with me. Your favorites list was like reading my own. Kindred spirits across the miles! Thank you - your writing touched my heart today. It brought back some sweet memories and I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown, I am so very sorry your mom has passed! I lost mine last August and my brother passed in March of this year. I am still grieving. My brother and I were very close growing up and losing him at such a young age is devastating! Thank you for your visit. I am glad you found me and if you "search my blog" on my sidebar, I have info about Rose Chintz which should come up in several posts. God bless you and take care!

      Delete
  3. Pre-covid, jeans was a regular part of my outfit. Nowadays, my working from home attire consists of yoga pants/capris and a comfy tee. Maybe I'll change things up one day and wear one of my fun dresses.

    My dad was also a Bee Gees fan so I grew up listening to their songs (Too Much Heaven, Staying Alive).

    Christmas is also my favourite holiday and of course, we share a love of collecting pretty teawares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my Old Country Roses china, and I have many serving pieces. I happened onto Royal Albert lily of the valley with pink roses, and have about 5 place settings of it. It seems to only be found in Canada and Australia. Of course, shipping from Australia is horrendous, so I can't afford to buy from there. In 1995, Victoria Magazine had a special purchase of tea pot, cups and plates of Royal Winton Welbeck so I have some of that. I love china and tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post Sandi, and so many of your favourites are the same as mine. Oh, I do love Dulse, which we can't get here, but my sister sends me a bag every now and then. A little taste of my Nova Scotia Home. Mom always kept a bag of dulse in her drawer. I love Michael W Smith and have several of his albums I like to listen to. My children loved him as well. So much to love about this post but most of all that you have not left us for good. I know I only ever rarely comment, but I always read and enjoy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your post today, Sandi. We are all kindred spirits, aren't we? My favorite thing to do is to sit on a Lake Michigan beach and watch the sailboats and freighters. We are blessed to live on a lake in Michigan, but we have ski boats and jet skis! The peacefulness of Lake MI is so calming. I also love to garden. Flowers of any kind and anywhere on anything! Especially china. See why I love your blog? We like the same things. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi,
    I agree with you on so many things in this post, it is uncanny. I n my last post, I shared 3 closets of clothes and that i am embarrassed by that... I will be going through those closets and all my other clothes and take a serious look at what i need and will wear now that I have a more relaxed life style.... I am enjoying mornings in my Cottage garden and sitting on the Patio and front porch enjoying sun sets....Life is good in retirement!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful post! I feel like I REALLY know you now! I love all the things you love, although I may not actually have the same things. I tend to collect things that are given to me and that is how I learn to love them, if that makes sense. I do love roses...not the store bought variety, but the garden roses. Right now I only have one rose bush that I love, the one from our memorial garden for our son, and it only blooms on special occasions. It just seems to "know" when it's time to bloom. I love the old hymns mostly, but some of the more contemporary songs are good too...as long as we can have both I am happy. I miss singing and church so much. We hope to start back on July 5th, but we won't be allowed to sing because of the virus. So very sad. Not sure what God thinks about that... Right now I mostly wear knit capri pants and a t-shirt around the house, and skecher's style shoes because I need them for support and comfort. I do wear jeans when we go casual places. I love dresses but don't like having to wear hosiery/heels, etc. so I don't wear many dresses except for special occasions/church sometimes. I have recently learned that my paternal grandmother, who was adopted, was mostly English and some German. I always thought she was purely German. So now I understand why she and I both loved tea so much! Thank you for this post. I enjoyed learning more about you. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Lady Sandi of Prince Edward Island,
    I have enjoyed your blog via email for years! Your blog has been chosen as the only one I receive these days. I actually open up my laptop computer, instead of my smart phone to read and savour each photo and word you write. I, also am a Christian and sing and play the keyboard. I am in the Choir at church, when Covid is over, will go again. I am 59, 3 grown children, all married with Grands. I have 4 Grand Princesses, all living far away from me. I was born in South Texas, but living my dream in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, USA. We have 4 distinct Seasons here, and I love it! I work at the largest Antique Mall in the Nation, the FACTORY ANTIQUE MALL in Verona, Virginia. I am on furlough still, as I am diabetic and high risk. I am trying NOT to go into public church or work until I am forced! I collect teacups and teapots and like you, my favorite is the Royal Albert Old Country Roses, I have a large 8 cup one. It was a gift from my Son and Daughter in love from Texas! I love Shabby Chic decor and most of my furniture and accessories are WHITE! I adore doilies and lace, lace and more lace! My mom, back in Texas, widowed like me, crochets a lot. I am collecting the ROYAL ALBERT month cup and saucer sets and my mom is crocheting little crochet doilies to place under each one, on the high shelf between the Kitchen and living room of my Apartment, which I have named TEACUP COTTAGE! I enjoy historical drama, tea studies and romantic comedies. The Secret Garden and BBC movies and pretty much all the Masterpiece Classics. I have a few pieces of the Royal Albert Old Country Roses, along with a few gifted pieces from my children for teatimes! I had to downsize considerable moving from a larger home to apartment, when husband passed away with stroke in 2015. I can say MY GOD HAS BEEN FAITHFUL TO ME...provider, in all ways. I, like you, love people and love God and will creatively find ways to be an EXTROVERT even in quarantine days of Covid. Thank you for all these years of providing such inspiration with teatime and God and real living. I have the same TEATIME WITH GOD book you have! In fact, I have had to give away all my VICTORIA Magazines, as I had collected too many. So, now I enjoy them and give away after reading. God Bless you...Keep you safe in HIS CARE! Hugs, Lady Roxanne of Waynesboro, Virginia USA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved reading about your favorite things, dear Sandi. I knew some of them, like your OCR teapot, your rose chintz, your colors, your love of roses, the summer, the beach, and pumpkin pie. I do not own any OCR at all, but I think it’s lovely. I mostly wear capris and the-shirts or jeans and tops in the winter. I’m so sorry about your family not being able to get together. This Covid has really made a mess of things, hasn’t it? I hope you have a wonderful weekend. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely, fun post! I do love 'favourite' lists by blogging friends. Your list converges on many aspects with some of my own favourites. I now have my mom's OCR teapot and I love it. Summer smell through an open window -- oh yes, let's bottle that. And Sticky pudding, bring it on, girl, let's share a bowl (well after Covid). My dad had a Teresa Bugnet rose. (I remember shortly after he went to heaven, I thought about him missing his roses come Spring, and I got the distinct 'message' in my heart that I didn't have to worry, he had beautiful roses where he was. That gave me such comfort.)

    Sending happy heart hugs. Thanks for a lovely visit, Sandi.
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sandi,

    Great post and fun. Some of my favorite things are:

    Music Country, the new Country
    Dachshunds especially my own
    Favorite place to visit Newport RI
    Food pretty much seafood and Italian
    Flower Carnations, get a bad rap, Daffodils, Lilacs Hydrangeas by far
    I could listen to music always

    Take care

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing all your favorite things! I have Rose Chintz dishes also, but didn't know they existed until I was married for a number of years. I was into the York pottery at first (heavy plates) and then I changed my decor from Colonial country to romantic Victorian and that's when I got the Chintz dishes. I also love roses. At my wedding I carried dark red ones. I also love lupines, hollyhocks, foxglove, and lilacs. My husband and I lived on PEI for almost 9 years but now are back in the States and living down south in SC instead of New England where I'm from. I've been to Charleston. It's a great place to visit! I'm about 3 hours inland in Williamston, SC. So I don't get to see the ocean very often anymore. And because it's too hot here, I can't grow hollyhocks or have lilacs. :-( But I can enjoy other flowers year round actually! So that's a plus.
    Best to you!
    Linda S.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love this post! GIRL...WE enjoy so many same favorite things. YES we do! Just love, love, love that outfit and that is so me except I am with you. Lower heels. Age has sorta taken care of the high heels for me! LOL! Love the beach. My favorite all time place besides sitting by my pond outside. So many things you mentioned are my delight. And bring on the Bee Gees. Hugs and blessings to you dear Sandi.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely post, Sandi! I love so many of these things as well. I have to admit that my favorite shoes are my Croc flip-flops...lol! Now that I am retired, my go to outfits include leggings and long tunics...these days it's all about comfort. We now live on a beautiful slice of heaven in the hills of Tennessee and just sitting and listening to the birds and watching other wildlife brings joy to my heart. Your beautiful photos in this post have blessed me so! Hugs and best wishes to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Canada Day, Sandi! Hope you're enjoying a fun day!
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful post Sandi... I enjoyed your "loves" so very much and enjoyed hearing your stories about each one. I've never had Yorkshire pudding, but it looks so delicious! I love the stories about your teapots, teacups, and the eagle you made is lovely! I miss PEI beaches so very much, your pictures always bring back such special memories to my heart. I hope that PEI tourism does not suffer terribly this year from the covid, and it saddens my heart that your family won't be able to visit! I enjoyed your post so very much... Happy Canada Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sandi, I have been a bit overwhelmed the past few weeks and got behind on my blog visits, so I'm catching up today with your last two. Of course, I want you to do what is best for you; but I hope you will continue to post to your lovely blog whenever you can. And without worrying about it not being something everyone wants to read! I happen to share many of your interests, but even if I didn't I'm sure I would find your posts just as refreshing as I always do. Visiting Rose Chintz Cottage is always like a mini-vacation for me. Your regular readers know you have many difficulties in life, and so your posts, long or short, on whatever topic, also provide a shining example to us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.