Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 2 December 2019

"My Favourite Things" for No Place Like Home




A real home is a shelter from the storms of life, a place in which to relax, a place of peace and rest. ~ Dr. Clifford R. Anderson

Welcome to No Place Like Home! I decided to do something different today.

Most of us probably have Christmas music on by now. I often have a melody going through my head. This one I have been singing a lot lately so I thought I would take a few lines from the song and relate them to my life.

I think we all remember the movie, The Sound of Music. It is a classic which is based on the true story of the Trapp Family singers that took place in Austria long ago. 

My Favourite Things
Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things
Cream-coloured ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells
And schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favourite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver-white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favourite things
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad - Rodgers and Hammerstein 1959
When I think of certain lines in that song like, "And whiskers on kittens," I think of my youngest son's two adopted cats. They were kittens when he first adopted them, now full grown. I have never met them because he lives in the States and I am not able to travel at this time. So, the only time I see them is when they are on FaceTime and in pictures. I do love kitties!
Merlin, we think, is part Russian Blue and he was found wandering the streets for quite a while. Poor kitty! Who knows why he was on the streets? Someone had found him and brought him into the Humane Society. He had a broken hip, from being hit by a car most likely, so when my son adopted him, he was in a brace and needed special care until he healed. He is fine now and is very good company. 

This one with the angelic face is Minerva and she is a tabby. She is one smart cat! She was also adopted from the Humane Society and was younger than Merlin when she was adopted. She can open doors and drawers and closets. They have their hands full with her! When they had their home built, they had round door knobs installed on doors instead of handles because she could figure out how to open them. I actually have a video of her opening a closet with bi-fold doors. 
Our pets are a part of the family and these two kitties are no exception. Here is the fireplace in their new home with the stockings hung. The kitties each have their own stocking with an M on it.

When I hear the line, "...and warm woollen mittens," I think of the mittens my mother used to knit for my boys when they were growing up. The mittens always had a string attached to them so they wouldn't lose the mittens. Every year, she knit them each a pair until, one by one, they would receive mittens without the string. It was a little sad for me because the mittens without the string meant they were old enough to wear the mittens and take care of them without losing them. One by one, my boys were growing up. Yes, I'm a sentimental mom. Sadly, my mother passed away this past August so it will be our first Christmas without her. But those mittens are a lovely memory.
I found these on the Internet. They are the closest I could find to the blue and white variegated ones my mother used to knit.

My hubby, on a whim the other day, brought home some apple strudel which made for another line in the song, "...Crisp apple strudel." It was very good, by the way. I've never made it myself.
"Doorbells and sleigh bells," remind me of the bells that hang on my door knobs all year long. Yes, there is a story here. 

My oldest son would make an excellent cat burglar. Actually he and his youngest brother would because they are both very quiet when they need to be. My oldest boy never used the doorbell after he moved out. He used to sneak into the house and "surprise" me. He nearly scared the wits out of me on too many occasions. I told him several times to stop sneaking in and surprising me because I'm not getting any younger. Well, like most of my family, he couldn't help himself because they all thrive on pulling jokes on one another. He used his key to enter and then proceeded to sneak up on me. So, one day I decided to fix him. I hung bells on the door knobs so now he can no longer sneak in. I always hear him come in. Sometimes mom has to outsmart her young. The bells are quite the conversation piece when we have company! Especially in the summertime when Christmas is a distant memory.

Last, but not least, is the line, "Silver-white winters that melt into Springs, These are a few of my favourite things."
This is a scene I photographed at Victoria Park here in Charlottetown. Sort of reminds me of Narnia. 
Out the window, you can see one of our shrubs is covered in snow after a two day storm we had on the weekend. I'm always happy when the last of the snow melts in the springtime. 

What are some of your favourite things? 

A few of my favourite things are simple really; listening to music, walks on the beach, hearing the birds sing, Christmas of course, and having family around me. I also enjoy the smell of fresh baking from the oven. This time of year there is a lot of spice in the air. So fragrant! Oh, and fudge. I love a good piece of homemade fudge this time of year. My kitchen is the heart of the home and truly, there is no place like home, is there?

I am delighted to have you join me today. If you have something to share, simply let me know in a comment and I will add your blog to the list of participants. I will be happy to come and visit you.

Please share any of the following: Cooking and baking, recipes, antiquing, artwork, ceramics, crafts, crocheting/knitting, quilting/sewing, collections, floral arranging, home decor, homemaking tips, hospitality, refinishing furniture, tea time, tablescapes, thrift shopping etc....Maybe there's a new baby in the family or you have a new fur baby you would like to introduce us to. They are welcome too! 


Anything and everything which makes your HOME more enjoyable to come HOME to, for your family, your friends, and yourself. 


Lord, this humble house we'd keep 
Sweet with play and calm with sleep. 
Help us so that we may give 
Beauty to the lives we live. 
Let Thy love and let Thy grace 
Shine upon our dwelling place. -
 Edgar A. Guest


My Party Participants:

Tea in the Valley
Creekside Cottage

The Legacy of Home
Thelma's Days
This Beautiful Life
Kitty's Kozy Kitchen
Just a Little Southern Hospitality
Across My Kitchen Table
Mrs. T's Christmas Kitchen 
A Debbie-Dabble Christmas



Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

20 comments :

  1. I love having a home decorated with favorite things. I got some of my Christmas books out yesterday and spread them around the living room! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I remember mittens with string on. I absolutely adore the carol Oh Holy Night. I listen to it with my eyes closed and simply absorb the beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this moving and the sound track! Isn't it interesting how this song has become associated with Christmas? Really fun to read your stories today!

    I'd love to share my post about my Christmas Tree! https://mrsrabe.blogspot.com/2019/12/oh-christmas-tree.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so sweet. I love the movie, "The Sound of Music." That song about favorite things is like remembering our blessings. The bells on your door to stop being surprised by your son sneaking in is so cute!

    It is so precious that your mother made mittens for your children. I wish many more of us had that skill of knitting mittens and could make them for the children in our lives. It reminded me of a post I would like to share. Sometime, early last year, I made some homemade tea napkins for my little granddaughter. It was out of leftover Christmas fabric. She was so excited. Here is the post:

    https://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/2018/01/tea-napkins.html

    Thank you so much for hosting this each week! This will be the fourth Christmas since my Mother passed into Heaven. I know how difficult in can be God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Sandi. I always enjoy reading your posts. There's so many things to love about the Christmas Season. I like Christmas music also. One of my favourites is from "The Nutcracker". I also love Christmas hymns sung in church and the choirs and cantatas. We are having a cantata next Sunday. All the churches get together and form a choir. Catholic, United, Presbyterian and Anglican.
    I am in Richmond, Quebec for the Winter. It is south of Montreal. I am staying with my sister Annie who is a widow. I will spent Christmas in Longueuil with my daughter and family.
    You may share my latest blog. A Birch Christmas Tree. Thanks a lot. Thelma. xohttps://thelma-day.blogspot.com/2019/12/a-birch-christmas-tree.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandi, as always, my visit to your blog is a balm of beauty and peace! I loved hearing about your memories of your favorite things. Those are all great stories. And such pretty photos too.

    I know Christmas will be a bit melancholy for you this year, coming so close on the heels of your mom's passing. Last year, was our first Christmas without Gary's mom, and it was very hard. How we can thank God for His promise of Heaven and eternal life with our loved ones.

    Simple things are my favorite too. A good book, a cozy blanket, a cup of tea (or coffee), instrumental music, conversation with a loved one.

    Here's my link for this week's party.
    https://pattiamg.blogspot.com/2019/12/december-is-upon-us.html

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading of your favorite things, Sandi, and the memories behind them. The Sound of Music was a favorite movie and my late beloved took me to see that musical when we were in high school. I love listening to Christmas music during the season, lighting candles, having twinkling lights and of course, baking. You can share my latest post, and thank you for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love The Sound of Music! This fun and creative post made me realize that it's been 10 years since I visited Salzburg and did the Sound of Music tour.

    I enjoyed reading about your favourite things and the memories behind them. My list includes: tea (of course!), stickers, funky socks, snow days (office is closed).

    Please include me in your party. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photo does remind me of Narnia. Please add my blog to your list.

    https://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/2019/11/its-all-about-family.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post---to remind us to appreciate the small things in life.....I loved this, perfect for the season, and the song will be in my brain for the entire day, week...as it should be in our hearts all year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a unique and fun post, Sandi -- to take song lyrics and spin a blog post off them was such a great idea!

    I love Christmas lights, both indoors and out, Christmas music, reading Christmas books, decorating, baking, Christmas hospitality, crafting gifts and decorations -- oh, I could go and on, but I won't.

    If it's okay with you, I can share posts from both of my blogs:
    http://acrossmytable.blogspot.com/2016/12/making-every-day-merry-in-little-ways.html

    and

    http://mychristmaskitchen.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-winter-memory-jar.html

    Thanks so much for hosting this delightful party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this post this morning as I am enjoying my cup of coffee. Now I will be singing and humming the rest of the day....LOL! Hugs and blessings dear Sandi. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved hearing about the kitties and their stories because I love kitties too. We have one. It's our daughter's and we're taking care of it right now. I also had a bell hanging on the front door of our PEI home so I could hear my husband coming in as the kitchen was in the back of the house. I forgot to take it with me when we moved back to the States. :-( When I finish getting my new blog set up (soon), I will share it with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful post! I enjoyed the "music", the photos and learning about your favourite things. I'm also happy to see you've revived No Place Like Home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandi, I loved this post because I always try to appreciate the little things. Life is made up mostly of little things, so we'd be missing out on an awful lot if we only took pleasure in the major events! Sorry about your mother--those "firsts" are the hardest. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sandi,
    I know I am way behind in my visiting so please accept my apologies.... Loved this post!! Sound of Music is one of the first movies i ever saw in a theater. My sister took me when I was a child....Sorry I have not been here to "link up" but here is the link to my Christmas blog where I am now doing my Home Tour and 3 posts a week...
    Hugs,
    Deb
    https://adebbie-dabblechristmas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love that song, and you have illustrated it so beautifully! I love this time of year, with music in the air and in our hearts and on our lips. As we decorate our homes and bake goodies and wrap gifts, it is a time to sing and be joyful. (((hugs))) to you as I know you will miss your sweet mother this Christmas. Last Christmas my MIL had just been gone a short time, and we certainly missed her, and still do. My own mother has been gone for 13 years, but I still think of her so often. That's just the way it is. We never truly get over missing our mothers, especially when we were blessed to have a good mother. (and mother in law, I might add). Praying your Christmas will be especially sweet. Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, as a P.S., I was also singing in my blog post today: https://pamelasopenwindow.blogspot.com/2019/12/let-heaven-and-nature-sing.html There is some of my nature surroundings as well as some of my Christmas decorations in this post. Please stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely post! This was the song that inspired the name of my blog and you have described it so beautifully! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.