Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 17 December 2018

The ABC's of Christmas - W

W - The ABC's of Christmas


The first snowfall is not only an event but it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of world and wake up to find yourself in another quite different and if this is not enchantment, where is it to be found? ~ JB Priestley

Welcome to the letter...W.


is for...
Wreaths, White Christmas, Winter Wonderland, Wish List, and Walt Disney.

Wreaths are used at Christmas time as a welcoming adornment on front doors and as part of the advent wreath which encircles five candles - that are lit in the four Sundays before Christmas and on Christmas Eve. 

As a never-ending circle, wreaths are symbolic of eternal life and strength.





I love a wreath and especially at this time of year. I have them in my home, greeting you at the door, hanging on mirrors and cabinet drawers, even around a hurricane lamp on a table.

I think they make a most welcome and delightful decoration in one's home, don't you?

The wreath above is one I fashioned for the patio doors which also matches a little tree beside the fireplace. 

And this lovely wreath surrounds the hurricane lamp on the coffee table.


We have been enjoying a winter wonderland for a while here on the Island. We have had lots of snow this season and a snowfall always puts folks in the mood for the holidays. A white Christmas is almost a sure thing for us this year. I'm sure most folks are happy about that; particularly the children.

The song, Walking in a Winter Wonderland was written in 1934 by lyricist Richard B. Smith and the music was composed by Felix Bernard. 

Sleigh bells ring, Are you listening
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight
We're happy tonight
Walking in a winter wonderland.

Internet


White Christmas is one of the most famous and popular of all the  Christmas songs. The music and lyrics were written by Irving Berlin in 1942. The lyrics of White Christmas struck a chord with the soldiers fighting in the Second World War and their families who were waiting for them back home.   


I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
And children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May all your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May all your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.

Wish List is one which children of all ages love to write out for Santa.


My hubby insists on me making a list out for him every year for Christmas. Only trouble is, each year, it gets harder for me to make a list because I feel I have everything I need. How about you? Do you make out your Christmas list for anyone?

Every Christmas Day when I was growing up, there was a Walt Disney special on TV in the afternoon. All of my favourite characters were showcased; Cinderella, Snow White, Lady and the Tramp, Chip and Dale, and Bambi, among others. It was a special afternoon my brother and I looked forward to every year because that was the day our father would get down on the floor with us and watch. That was the day that the little kid would come out as he laughed along with us. My Daddy made Christmas so much fun! I have so many lovely memories of him at Christmastime.




This Bambi and Thumper snowglobe was gifted to me many years ago by a family member. It plays the Skater's Waltz. A wonderful reminder of those days spent with my father and brother on Christmas Day watching the Disney show.

What we remember from childhood, we remember forever. - Cynthia Ozick


I hope you enjoyed my take on the letter W and tomorrow you will join me for the letter X.
Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

3 comments :

  1. Gorgeous wreaths and sweet snowglobe!Each post is delightful!Merry CHRIST-MAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreaths are lovely, Sandi. I have a few wreath decorations inside. I used to hang a wreath on my front door but last year, I got a new door with a window and decided I didn't want a wreath to block the window.

    It's looking pretty green over here so no white Christmas for us.

    I used to do wish lists with my friends when we did Secret Santa. But we stopped the gift exchanges a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, wreaths can suit any season. You've reminded me of a time in the 80s or 90s when they were really popular and I made several for different spots in the house. I'm going to have to go through some old photo albums to figure out when it was that I was in my "crafty phase." Happy *W*inter!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.