Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 4 December 2017

Come On Ring Those Bells, Light the Christmas Tree....




From home to home, and from heart to heart, from one place to another, the warmth and joy of Christmas brings us closer to each other. ~ Emily Matthews

Hello dear friends! Well, the countdown is on; less than a month to Christmas. I have my tree up and I am loving my new ribbon! It is a mesh with iridescent glitter all through it and it sparkles whether the lights are on or not. 



I have paired it with a gold sheer wired ribbon from last years's tree with a glitter design on it. 



I enjoy the music as much as the decorating. I always have the music playing while I'm decorating and baking. It makes that time spent so much more enjoyable.


I have my favourite Christmas music too. I still love the Spirit of Christmas with the Living Strings. 


My children grew up with the Strings along with Evie, Michael W. Smith, and a number of other favourites as well as those oldies but goodies. My middle boy is so sentimental that he purchased Evie, "Come On Ring those Bells" Christmas online. Does anyone remember her?


Actually my son and his family went to hear Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant in concert a week ago. My little granddaughter loved it and she smiled all the way through it! My youngest likes the Living Strings and Michael W. Smith but does usually prefer the instrumentals. My oldest, I'm sad to say, likes anything country. Yeah, I'm not a big country music fan. Sorry, to those of you who are!

Speaking of bells; I have a small collection from over the years. Each one was a gift.






All of these bells hold special memories. The blue Vancouver bell was from my oldest son when he went on a youth exchange and another was from a nice young man we had at our home also for a youth exchange. The one from Hawaii and the blue Currier and Ives are from my uncle while the others are from my hubby. The crystal one was a gift from my SIL on Hubby's and my 25th anniversary.

When I was growing up it was more Christmas concerts than records and tapes playing. My father was involved in the church and he and I both sang in the choir. I sang in almost every Christmas concert there was, school, Sunday School, Girl Guides, etc. If there was a concert, I was singing in it.

My guys don't sing but they do play instruments. Two of them play drums and bass/acoustic guitar. 



My youngest always preferred percussion and the keyboards. Now one of my grandsons plays guitar and he loves music too! This is him about a year ago playing with his father at church. My son is behind the music stand so you can't see his face. He was playing guitar as well that morning.
This is my grandson today. I am amazed at how much a young man can change in only one year! I think he grew four or five inches as well.



They say music is the universal language and I certainly agree with that. Music has always played a big part in my life; in our lives. I have so many favourite Christmas songs that I can't pick just one. Each one moves me in a different way. What is your favourite Christmas song?

Today I am having a winter white tea. We've been getting a little snow which quickly melts but we know there will be lots more coming.

My teapot was a Christmas gift one year and I like the simplicity of it, winter white with embossed snow flakes.


Tea is ready and we'll enjoy a cup with some ginger cookies. 



You may choose your cup. The little silver spoon sitting on the crystal studded saucer is one I found at an antique shop just recently. The pattern is South Seas. I love those little silver tea spoons, don't you?



...Perhaps that is the true gift of a teatime celebration: It fills our cups with joy and warmth and friendship. May the echo of the teacup's message be heard not only at Christmas, not only on special occasions, but anytime friends come together. ~ Emilie Barnes

I got one of my fruit cakes made. This one has just cooled off and will be getting wrapped to age very shortly.



Fruit cake is a lot of work but the end result is fabulous! For those of you who don't bake or don't like to bake, I find baking most inspiring! There is something purely magical about taking some flour, sugar, butter, and eggs, add in some flavouring and fruit, and pour the batter into a pan. Bake it in the oven and out comes this beautiful confection, fit for those you love. And for those of you who claim not to like fruit cake, I believe you just may not have tasted a good one. This is my grandmother's recipe and it has never failed me. I have been making it for years and everyone enjoys it. Some of it will be going to Colorado to my youngest son for Christmas.

I kind of wore myself out last week with the decorating and baking which is why I didn't get a post up. I told Hubby this will be the last year I will be putting lights on the tree. We will look for a pre-lit one after Christmas. 

That's my update for this week but before I close this post, I want to send a great big Happy Birthday out to my little granddaughter who is seven years old today! Like her Nanny, she loves tea parties!



Wish Nanny and Papa could be there to celebrate with you, little lambie!



Have a lovely week everyone and thank you for visiting.



Everybody likes to take a holiday
Everybody likes to take a rest
Spending time together with the family
Sharing lots of love and happiness.

Come on, ring those bells,
Light the Christmas tree,
Jesus is the king
Born for you and me.
Come on, ring those bells,
Every-body say,
Jesus, we remember
This your birthday. ~ written by Andrew Culverwell


I am joining the following parties as well~

Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Friends Sharing Tea
 Share Your Cup Thursday
 Home Sweet Home


 Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

26 comments :

  1. Your home looks so lovely with such a Christmas warmth and glow, Sandi! I loved seeing your collection of bells, and your pretty teatime. I used to sing in the glee club in high school, and enjoyed singing those pretty Christmas carols. Your grandson is so handsome, Sandi, and your granddaughter is a doll. Thank you for the quotes, as always.
    Yes, please get a pre lit tree next year! Enjoy your week, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a pleasure visiting your beautiful and "cozy" blog!Your Christmas tree is just wonderful and I love your collection of bells,so pretty!Love to know that you and your Family love music!My son plays guitar too and wants to be a musician.Happy Birthday to your Grand!Blessings,Maristella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention what my favorite Christmas song is! It's Mary Did You Know....love it!! However, I love lots of other ones, too, and listening is one of my favorite things to do (plus, Hallmark Christmas movies!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Mary Did You Know" is right up there for me as well, Kitty. It is a very powerful but beautiful song which always brings me to tears. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Evie! Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant are going to be in our area, but we will not be attending, sadly. I like their Christmas music especially.

    Beautiful tree. Lovely tea. Darling granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tree looks beautiful, Sandi! The critter crocheting "Joy" is too cute. I'm also admiring your lovely bell collection.

    I can't carry a tune, but did play the flute in my high school band. My favourite traditional Christmas carols are "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing". My favourite modern Christmas song is Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You."

    Every year, I give my godson a Christmas ornament and this year, I gave him a teddy bear playing the drums--just like yours!

    I admit that I wasn't a fan of fruitcake when I was younger, but I enjoy it now. I'm also loving your pretty lace-patterned teacup.

    Happy Birthday to your sweet granddaughter!

    P.S. I'm sure that your can score a nice pre-lit tree during the Boxing Day/Week sales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi- First off- what a beautiful tree. Secondly, I DO remember Evie but had forgotten about her music until you mentioned it here.

    Happy Birthday to your sweet little 7 year old granddaughter. You have such a lovely family.

    I, too, love baking- it gives me great pleasure to give my baked goods to others. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree is so beautiful! I enjoy Christmas music when decorating and really at any time, doing anything during the Christmas holidays.

    I was watching a movie on you-tube the other day and it ended with the song Mary Did You Know? and tears were streaming especially at the end. ~ The Great I Am, come in the flesh.

    May your Christmas holidays be filled with much love, joy and peace ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mrs. Sandi:

    I always enjoy your blog posts so very much. Such beautiful pictures that inspire me. I have three favorite Christmas songs: The Christmas Waltz (by She & Him...I don't care for other versions of it), Mary, Did You Know (either Mark Lowery and Pentatonix have the best versions of it) and finally, Silver Bells (with Bing Crosby...this was my Grandmother's favorite song....she passed away this year so now it's even more special to me than ever). Have a lovely and merry week! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandy, your tree is amazing. Large and the pops of turquoise are lovely.

    I listen to Christmas music nonstop. Enjoy your tea.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful children!! I bet they are excited about Christmas! Your Christmas decorations are so beautiful!! I have never made fruit cake before. Looking at your cake makes me want to try to make it. Have a wonderful first week of Advent!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree is just beautiful! My favorite carol is Bring A Torch Jeannette Isabella. I had never heard it until I was in the junior high choir and we sang it. The modern version sung by David Bowie is not near as pretty as the more traditional one. I don't know why they try to change things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a beautiful song. I remember singing it in concert when I was a fifth grader. That was a few years ago! Thank you for your visit and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  13. The song Come On Ring Those Bells evokes the days when we decorated the Christmas tree with our three children. Now it's just the two of us, but that song still rings in my head. The tape with the recording is long gone.
    Your grandchildren are beautiful. Our eldest will be 7 in 10 more days. (not that she's counting!)
    Your tree is elegant and oh, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sandi, I haven't said hi for awhile and as I was visiting Bernideen I saw your comment so clicked on over. Your tree is very beautiful. I love the soft colors you have used. I'm sure you are enjoying the holiday season and yes, those little baby boys grow up too fast. Mine is 23 today..Hope you are well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your tree and the lovely bells...Yes, I remember Evie and "Come on Ring those bells"...I always loved her music and even sang some of it back in the day. I also loved singing, and my hubby and I have sung many duets and solos throughout the years of ministry. Not so much anymore...gotten out of practice...and I miss it. I need to get our Christmas music out and start playing it more. That's what is missing! Thank you for this delightful post. It lifted my spirits today. Your granddaughter is adorable. So happy she loves tea parties. I know you must miss her if she does not live near you. I hope you and your family have a wonderfully blessed and joyous Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful Christmas tree! WOW! It is just beautiful. Winter White tea sounds so good Sandi. I am having coffee right now but feel a tea break coming on later in the day. Love all the musical background you have shared with us and those in your family that love it now. Loved all the pictures too. I too love music. Sometimes, most often matter of fact, I am so deeply moved during praise and worship time at church more than any other time. Music speaks to my soul. Funny you mentioned Christmas music playing. I told my husband this morning that I would love to be able to sit around in my pj's, coffee in hand and listen to some Christmas music. Just not happening today though. Hugs and blessings to you dear Sandi. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandi, I love the tree! I play Christmas music through out the year. I love it. I have a yule log DVD to have a crackling fire with music while I work at Christmas activities. I love the white cup with the pine cone. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As soon as I saw your title I started singing! Just after we became christians, Evie gave a concert at our fellowship. Loved it! Have her tape somewhere, even though I no longer have a working tape player! As a past music minister, music is always around here. Your tree is absolutely gorgeous! Wonderful to see your family and share your memories, but Christmas is perfect for that! Have a lovely week! Thanks so much for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your little mouse stole my heart, I bought that same Hallmark Mouse for my Grandmother years ago and have it sitting on my desk year around.
    Your tree is beautiful and love your musical grandsons

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a pretty post and photos . I have the same light blue bell as in your pic and I have a little heart shaped box that came with it to . When I was younger I had a white and light blue room with white furniture and trinkets in white and blue as well as a comforter with pillow sham and such . I still love listening to the old Christmas classics with Bing Crosby , Frank Sanatra etc nothing like them . Thanks for sharing , Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sandi, your fruitcake looks wonderful! I love a good fruitcake and agree with you that those who think they don't like fruitcake have probably never had a good one. I posted my recipe in November of last year. You're very wise to recognize that you overdid it last week and to make the decision to cut back next time around. Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet. This reminds me of when my niece and nephew were little and lived nearby. We would build a large tent in the living room and watch classic Disney cartoons, and my niece LOVED tea parties. (We had a "Belle" tea set). Those were the days, and Christmas made it even more magical. I really miss it.

    I've always said that if I had a time machine I'd travel back to when my niece and nephew were young.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Sandi:
    I too depend on the music to surround me when crafting, sewing and baking! I have Christmas Music galore and always love it........and similar favorites to you such as Amy Grant. It is very strange but when I put on a couple of them to takes me back to my first little shop in Texas when I played them in 1987. It is very dai sha vu. I love your fruit cake and am making some little ones. Your white winter tea is delightful. Is is very unlikely we have snow but I think some is coming YOUR WAY right now!!! Enjoy! Thanks for linking and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, my how they grow I can't believe they are turning 7,my niece and your grandaughter. We had certain Christmas music we listened to every year. I really like Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant. We have been listening to Klove all year a Christian radio station and it is really good. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.