Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Saturday 20 May 2017

Victoria Day Tea

May your life always be like a teapot...overflowing to warm the soul. ~ Irish Blessing

Welcome dear friends to a Victoria Day Tea and Happy Victoria Day to all my Canadians friends!

This is our Victoria Day weekend and we are enjoying the first unofficial long weekend of the summer. The past two days have been extraordinarily warm but alas, it has returned to the cold today.


Do you like my basket of posies? This was delivered to me last weekend for Mother's Day from my youngest son who lives in CO. Those wee rose buds have opened up to lavender roses. Aren't they sweet?



Most of my flowers have faded since my last post so it's lovely to have some to take their place.


This weekend we are celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday and for those of you who may not be aware, Canada is part of the British Commonwealth and therefore we have close ties to the UK and the Royal family. Queen Elizabeth is our Queen which is one of the reasons why the royals visit our country so frequently. 

Elizabeth II is, and has been since her accession in 1952, Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and Head of the Commonwealth.




Internet

Queen Victoria, who was our reigning Queen Elizabeth's great-great-grandmother, was a much beloved queen and the third Monday of every May is set aside to honour her memory. 




Internet


All the time I was ironing I was trying to think of a name for a new island Diana and I discovered up by the brook. It's the most ravishing spot, Marilla. There are two maple trees on it and the brook flows right round it. At last it struck me that it would be splendid to call it Victoria Island because we found it on the Queen's birthday. Both Diana and I are very loyal. ~ Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery

Victoria Day is also a day to pay homage to Queen Elizabeth II whose birthday is actually on April 21. 

FYI: 
Elizabeth's father was George VI
George VI's father was George V, Elizabeth's grandfather.
George V's father was Edward VII, Elizabeth's great grandfather.
Edward VII's mother was Queen Victoria, Elizabeth's great great grandmother.


Also it's interesting to note that Elizabeth's husband, Prince Philip, is a great great grandson of Queen Victoria, making Elizabeth and Philip third cousins through this relationship. 


Prince Albert - Internet

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert married on February 10, 1849 and had nine children. Their children married into other royal families throughout Europe.

After her beloved Prince Albert died, Victoria wore the colour black for the rest of her life. That did not necessarily mean the colour was her favourite. She was in mourning for her prince.

I went on line to determine what Victoria's favourite colour was because I thought I would set my tea table in that colour. However most sites claimed it was black although a few said purple. 



In any case, I will use some Royal Albert china as well as Maxwell and Williams to celebrate this special occasion and it's not going to be black although black can be very elegant.



To be overcome by the fragrance of flowers is a delectable form of defeat. - Beverly Nichols

Since I have pink carnations, my china will have to have some pink in it and what better than a little chintz. I do believe the Victorians loved the colour pink.



Maxwell and Williams is the maker of my Rose Bud teapot as well as the matching teacup. 




Royal Albert Old English Rose is also on the table because they look so pretty with the other pieces. 




Avon shape


Hampton shape


I thought this quote by Marlene Dietrich was cute:

The British have an umbilical cord which has never been cut and through which tea flows constantly. It is curious to watch them in times of sudden horror, tragedy or disaster. The pulse stops apparently, and nothing can be done, and no move made, until "a nice cup of tea" is made. There is no question that it brings solace and does steady the mind. ~ Marlene Dietrich 


A pink frosted cake with rose buds is just right for tea.


Funny, the things that come to mind when I'm writing. As I was preparing this, I recall when I was about nine years old, my mother had made a pie for the Queen Victoria weekend and I had held my piece of pie up in the air and announced, "Queen Victoria pie!" To my dismay, my pie slid off the plate and went splat onto the floor. My mother wasn't impressed with my announcement nor did I get another piece of pie. I hadn't thought of that in years. I can giggle about it now but at the time, it wasn't very funny.

The majority of this post is a re-post because I haven't been feeling well. After my surgery two weeks ago I got an infection so I have been feeling poorly ever since. 

The last two weeks have been rather sad as well because there have been two deaths in the family, one of them my dear Uncle Doug who was my sweet Auntie P's husband. I will surely miss this British gentleman who had the heart of a soldier yet enjoyed his tea from a china cup. 

My auntie will miss him terribly and I ask for your prayers for her. Some of you who have been following my blog for any length of time know how close my auntie and I are. Sadly, I wasn't able to attend my uncle's funeral either because I have been ill. So it would mean a great deal if you would say a prayer of comfort for her.



I also have a date for my gallbladder surgery. It will be mid-June. It will be a relief to get that surgery over with as well. Hopefully the infection will be cleared up by then. 

Once again, it's a lengthy post for which I apologize. I hope you all have a lovely weekend and thank you so much for visiting. You really are such dear blogger friends and I so appreciate your visits and comments. The Lord bless you all!


Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the staircase. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

 I am joining the following parties as well~

 Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Friends Sharing Tea
 Share Your Cup Thursday
 Home Sweet Home


 Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

23 comments :

  1. The lavender roses are so pretty. How thoughtful of your son to send a lovely basket of posies! I am sorry for your illness and for the loss in your family. Prayers coming your way for healing and comfort.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely flowers your son sent! I am so sorry that you have an infection. I do hope it clears up quickly, and I do hope that your gallbladder surgery goes without a hitch!

    I have always admired Queen Victoria. My son and she share a birthday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Victoria Day post, Sandi. I'm glad you're enjoying the flowers sent from your son, but what a difficult few weeks you've had. I hope the infection will soon be gone, and I pray for God's comfort to surround your aunt, and you, as well.

    Pretty pretty teacups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the first time that I've seen lavender roses. So pretty! I watched Masterpiece's "Victoria" and enjoyed learning more about the early years of Queen Victoria's reign. The young Victoria seems very dramatic! Your "Queen Victoria Pie!" pronouncement made me giggle too. In other royal news, have you seen the adorable photos of Prince George and Princess Charlotte at their aunt's wedding?

    I'm sorry to hear about the infection and the passing of your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post very informative, loved all the beautiful tea cups. Praying for your recovery. Also so sorry for your loss, prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Sandi, A beautiful post as always. I enjoyed seeing the genealogy of the royal family. Your Queen Victoria Pie story made me laugh, so glad you can look back on it and smile.
    So sorry to hear of the passing of your Uncle Doug and of your health struggles. I will remember your Auntie and you of course in my prayers.
    Sending hugs,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the flowers are beautiful. It bet you felt so very special receiving them didn't you dear Sandi. I am so sorry about the infection. Praying sweet lady that you heal and quickly. Oh I love all the tea pretties. I hope your Monday is going well for you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about the infection, and will be praying for that. And the losses in your family. So difficult. I hope your Victoria Day is a haven of peace, and so glad there is such beauty and love in your life. Queen Victoria was amazing really, and the retrospect was wonderful. Take care of yourself Sandi...

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, dear Sandi, I'm so sorry about your uncle. I will certainly pray for your sweet Auntie P., and also for you as you are healing from this infection. Your pretty flowers must certainly cheer you, along with your pretty tea table. I did smile at the story of you and your "Queen Victoria Pie". Love and blessings to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post...Thanks for sharing...Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to hear of your losses, Sandi, and your not feeling well due to an infection. Praying that will clear up completely very soon. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this post re Victoria Day. The lineage was very interesting to read. Also loved your beautiful dishes and the Dietrich quote. Wishing you sunny days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a stunning post talking about times gone by, so beautiful to recall to our mind, filled with so many goodies and wonders, thank you for sharing, dear Sandy !

    Wishing you a most lovely remainder of your week,
    with sincere gratitude

    XOXO Daniela at - My little old world - (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about your infection after the surgery and then another surgery looming on the horizon, you certainly are keeping a great attitude about it all! So sweet of your son to send you purple roses for Mother's Day, they are beautiful! Your pink frosted cake looks lovely, and your tea table setting delightful! Lots of great information about Queen Victoria and Queen Elisabeth. Amazing how long she has been Queen. Hope you had a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sandi:
    I will surely continue to pray for you on your journey to recovery. I am amazed at how much you have had to deal with and how well you have handled it all. I am so sorry for the loss of your loved one too. Your post was sure interesting and as always the case - a lovely table setting. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandi, I am so sorry that you have not been feeling well. Getting an infection is not fun! I will keep you in my prayers. Best of luck with you gall bladder surgery. The purple roses are delightful! I loved reading about the Queen. I watched the series the Crown and learned so much. I really knew very little. I enjoyed it so much! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers and table settings... I love the Lisianthus.... they are so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your lengthy posts about tea pot and Queen Victoria, I loved the series on PBS about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
    I hope you get completely recovered from all your illnesses quickly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sandi, I am so sorry for your loss. Please convey my condolences to your dear auntie. I'm glad your surgery date is set, and I'm sure you're going to start feeling much better once that's behind you. Lovely photos (I prefer the Avon shape cup over the other one).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Despite your grieving and illness, this is a lovely post. Simply pretty and very informative. If nothing else, blogging has provided a lifeline of friendship across borders for us to share.
    Thank you for your lovely shares, I always enjoy them, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed your post about Victoria Day, but was sad when I got to the part that you've been ill, and lost a loved one. Prayers for you and your family. Life has been so busy lately that I haven't done much blog reading. Since this is Memorial Day weekend in the US, and a slower day, I'm trying to read some of my favorite blogs and get caught up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sandi, I was checking in on you and I am sorry to hear about your losses. You take care and get well soon. God bless you so much and keep you in his care. Will pray for your Aunt. Happy Victoria Day, everything is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's odd that I remember reading this post and thought I had commented - hmm! So sorry for the loss of your uncle, I know how special he and your Auntie P are to you Sandi.
    A couple of weeks and the second surgery will be over and you can move forward to getting better.
    Continued prayers for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey sweet lady - I have no doubt that God has something incredibly special for you - it's a new season, a new adventure. Sandi stay healthy and full of hope. Sending hugs from my heart to yours. Nikki

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.