Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 22 December 2014

Christmas Roses for Tea Time


Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make everyday a holiday and celebrate just living. ~ Amanda Bradley


Merry Christmas and welcome to my last Tea Time Tuesday before Christmas! Are you ready for the big day?

We are all so very busy and sometimes it's easy to lose sight of why we are celebrating. We get caught up in the preparations and many of us don't take time to relax and listen to the music or 'smell the roses'.



That is why we are having Tea Time today. It is a time to sit still and enjoy a cup of delicious tea and reflect on this most joyous holiday. 

Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love. ~ Hamilton Wright Mabie {1845-1916}  

For those of you new to my blog and have never seen my miniature teacups and creamer on the tree, I thought I would share them with you today.


These were all from my hubby except for the cardinal teacup which my youngest son got me at Cracker Barrel.


I was undecided what china to feature today; my green transferware or Royal Albert Old Country Roses. The funny thing is that our friend Karen  featured her Friendly Village one week and I had planned to feature mine the following week which I did. I plan my posts about a week in advance and just work on them as time allows. Then last week Karen featured her Old Country Roses and I had planned to feature mine this week. I had to smile as I read hers. I guess great minds think alike! 

Anyway, I used transferware last week so I decided to feature fine china this week, so Old Country Roses, it is!

Royal Albert Old Country Roses boasts a rich array of red, golden yellow, and deep pink florals; perfect for December. 


God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December." ~ JM Barrie

Some of you may remember that OCR was my Daddy's favourite pattern and Christmas was his favourite holiday so I will share my tea table today in his memory.


Each Christmas I remember
The ones of long ago;
I see our mantelpiece adorned
With stockings in a row.
Each Christmas finds me dreaming
Of days that used to be,
When we hid presents here and there,
For all the family.
Each Christmas I remember
The fragrance in the air,
Of roasting turkey and mince pies
And cookies everywhere.
Each Christmas finds me longing
For Christmases now past,
And I am back in childhood
As long as memories last."
~from Christmas Past by Carice Williams~

Our tea is Stash Holiday Chai and our treats are Granny's donut holes. There are also what used to be called my mother's saucepan cookies which are now called sugar plums with the addition of glace cherries, Judith's recipe, and candy cane fudge.



Hubby and I made donuts the other night using my grandmother's recipe. 


 As you can see, some of them have been enjoyed already. I made plain and sugared.



Making donuts was always my Daddy's and my Christmas tradition. I miss those days but Hubby and I enjoyed making them together so it will be our new tradition!



My teapot was a birthday present from my family a couple of years ago and I am thrilled to have it. I have set it out on the coffee table accompanied by other pieces.



The teacup was an antique find from Hubby in memory of my father and the china boot and basket had belonged to my father.




The sweet little china basket holds the teaspoons.



Now because you are here for tea, I am using the RA Old English Rose teacup which was also an antique find. I think the roses compliment those on the Old Country Roses pieces fairly well. You may choose whichever cup you like.



Did you know...? It was Queen Victoria's influence that allowed children to play more and work less. The queen held parties at Christmastime especially for the children, encouraging them to take part in the festivity of the season. ~ from Emilie Barnes' Christmas Teas of Comfort and Joy

So, shall we enjoy a wee nosh?



A dear friend surprised me with Emilie Barnes' book Christmas Teas of Comfort and Joy so we can take a peek through its lovely pages while we enjoy our tea and company. 



The greatest Christmas gift of all
Was never placed beneath a tree,
But lay within a manger
Beneath a star, for all to see. Unknown



O holy night! the stars are brightly shining;
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope- the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!
Fall on your knees! O hear the angels voices!
O night divine! O night when Christ was born!
O night divine! O night, O night divine! 
Words - John S. Dwight {1813-1893} Music - Adolphe C. Adam {1803-1856}


Thank you dear friends for joining me today. I will see you next week and in the meantime...Merry Christmas!

May your Christmas be Joyful, 
Peaceful, and Bright,
And filled with the Love of that very first night. ~ Unknown


I am joining the following parties as well~

A Return to Loveliness
 Tea Cup Tuesday
 Tea Cup Tuesday
 Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Friends Sharing Tea




 Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

29 comments :

  1. A wonderful post, as always!
    Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, Your tea is lovely as usual! I too have OCR - I had ordered the teapot like yours on Ebay, but the lid arrived broken; I returned it and ended up getting a different style of OCR teapot. If you would like to see it, it can be found here: http://beyondthegardengate-beth.blogspot.com/2014/02/tea-with-old-country-roses.html
    I like yours better - so elegant, but mine is unique. Your nosh looks great. I've never made donuts and yours look fantastic. Wishing you the joys of the season and a happy and healthy new year.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy the pieces of china you share that have a story behind them and the ones that were your dad's truly are special. Now I'm wishing I had made sugarplums - your plate of sweets looks delicious.
    You received a thoughtful gift from your friend, Emilie Barnes books are delightful.
    Thank you for hosting our tea gatherings Sandi and bringing a wonderful group of women together.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas dear Sandi. I am so appreciative of all you do to keep this worldwide tea party going!!! You know I love Royal Albert and have a good bit of OCR. I have the tea pot you have. One year my dear sweet husband had to be away on our anniversary, helping his mom up in New Brunswick. While there he bought it and surprised me with it on his return!! I always think of that when I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my friend and Merry Christmas! Lovely I love all thni tea items on a tree! And your OCR is gorgeous...how can it not be! Wishing you and your family the most blessed of Christmases!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandi,
    I am so honoured that you mentioned me! I do think the Old Country Rose is so perfect for Christmas! Your miniature teacups are so sweet. I have a few but they are quite hard to find. I usually use orphaned regular size teacups with pinkish tones now. Your donuts look amazing! Happy Christmas Wishes to you and your family Dear Friend! Thank you so much for hosting Tea each week. Christmas Blessings! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandi, what an elegant and delicious tea today, and sweet with memories of your dear father. So nice that your husband makes donuts with you now. They do look so yummy. The OCR pieces are so classic and elegant, perfect for Christmas, and I love those teacup ornaments. Sweet that you featured your son's gift in your collage.
    Thank you for hosting this party every week. I have dropped out of almost every party except yours (just time constraints), but yours was the first group of ladies who welcomed me so warmly into blogland, and I feel a special connection to all of you. Thank you for that.
    Have a Merry Christmas, and may the Lord bless you and your family now and into the New Year. Love, Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear Sandi, I love your Dad's favorite pattern! What a beauty for Christmas time. Your donuts look so delicious, as do the rest of your treats. I'd love to share some with you along with some chai holiday tea. Thank you, sweet friend, for hosting you special party and sharing with us with you home, your lovely quotes and delightful pictures and messages. Merry Christmas blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm.....donuts. Have a wonderful Christmas Sandi! Blessings.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you!
    Lovely post.
    One of my dear Aunts has the old country roses dishes. They are beautiful and I have grown to really like these pretty dishes.
    All the best,
    d on the prairie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is looking so festive. Such pretty tea set. Merry Christmas!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandi: It has been a delight to visit your home each week. I am sure if lived closer we would be great friends. May God richly bless you this Christmas Season. Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi! It's been a while since I have joined your lovely tea party but I hardly ever do tea posts anymore or so it seems so when I did a post with a teacup and saucer I thought of you.
    How nice to have such special memories of your father, thank you for sharing them with us. Those donuts look delicious, especially the sugar ones. And of course your OCR pattern is one of my favorites!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours and may you have a blessed 2015!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandi, your teas each week and always so wonderful. I love your china and your beautiful pictures.
    I *especially* loved your sharing that you and your father, and now you and your husband make doughnuts, that's neat! I have never done so, and I may just have to try it!

    Thank you for hosting week after week. If you only knew that all I REALLY want to do is make up pretty tea posts and join in every single time, but life just won't let me do so at this time in my life.
    So I am always happy when I am able - I have so much to share with Christmas tea themes but looks as though I am out of time again. *Sigh* Oh well, perhaps next year, right?

    God bless - have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas, Sandi, to you and yours!
    What a beautiful post, can't get enough of Old Country Roses.
    Your tree trims are gorgeous and those treats look awesome! Homemade donuts! YUM!
    Cozy, cozy Christmas. XO
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those donuts look so delicious! I have never made my own. Your tea set is so beautiful. I have never seen the boot teaspoon holder before, just darling! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Old Country Roses and Old English Roses - I have two place settings of each just for Alpha Hubby and me. I do think they complement one another perfectly! Someday I'll add more to each set but as it is, I'm now having trouble deciding which of the several beautiful sets I've collected to use! Several Haviland that I love and the Royal Albert. I love the boot and basket! As usual, you inspire me. It's rainy and foggy today so I think I'll make a pretty tea for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.
    Your table looks fantastic, as always. Enjoy.
    Vickie @ Teacups & Toadstools

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sandi, these pictures are so so beautiful. I have always had a special love for Old Country Roses. What a gorgeous pattern and post. And those donuts are calling my name. Thanks for always hosting such a lovely and beautiful party dear friend.

    Wishing you a very merry and blessed Christmas and a wonderful 2015.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Sandi for your sweet comments. I have enjoyed my visit here twice today but finally have time to comment. Your donuts do look wonderful. I wish I had more time to bake for my blog. Since I started Facebook for my store I seem to spend a great deal of time on that but it is bringing customers to my store so that helps! Your post is lovely (as always) and lovely sweet Old Country Roses is always delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your sweet Christmas header. How nice you have a new-old tradition making donuts with your husband. RA seems to do roses best. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is a pretty Christmas tea you have set Sandi.

    Hope you and your family have a lovely(green) Christmas!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blessings, Sandi! I'm so happy to be posting with my tea ladies again. I couldn't let Christmas pass without sharing some joy and tea with you all. What a feast for the eyes and inspiration your post is this week. I love Old Country Roses, too, and have only a few pieces that I take great joy in finding when thrifting. Still smarting that I didn't buy the Friendly Village settings for 12 and accessory pieces a couple years ago when I found it at a thrift shop for only $150! It was January and I was done in with no extras after Christmas. Boo. I do enjoy seeing yours and some of the other tea ladies when they display their sets. The treats look scrumptious - those sugarplums! I had one at the local candy shop yesterday. What a yum! I can't post as often as I used to with many new things on my plate, but I will join you when I can. I so need to make time for tea with all my new busy. Sharing with you and the others is a mini-retreat. Bless you and your family this Christmas and New Year!!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Merry Christmas Sandi! I look forward to following you again in the coming new year!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely tradition you and your dad had of making these adorable donuts, and how wonderful to keep it going with your husband. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, dear Sandi! All the very best in health, love and happiness!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Sandi
    How appropriate are the miniature teacups to decorate your Christmas tree!
    Thanks for hosting this lovely Christmas tea, as well as all the delightful Tea Time Tuesday events along the year.
    Hugs from Portugal

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely visit I have had with you. Traditions help don't they? My daughters and I have had a few more transitions that we quite carded to make. I always tell them, 1st time is an adventure, 2nd time it's a tradition. Merry Christmas dear Sandi. God bless you and keep you healthy in the coming new year.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Sandi,
    I loved reading your post - precious memories and traditions - Christmastime is a beautiful time to remember, relive and create new memories. I will be featuring your post in this week's A Return to Loveliness - I do appreciate you and hope you have a blessed New Year!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.