Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 10 November 2014

Honouring Our Heroes for Tea Time



In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row.~ John McCrae, 1915




Hello dear friends and welcome to another Tea Time. On Tuesday, November 11th, we honour our veterans, both past and present, and our military.  


Cenotaph - Charlottetown Guardian
  
Wreaths and crosses adorned with poppies will be placed at the Cenotaph by dignitaries and those who have lost loved ones to war. 


Internet
                      
The cenotaph was constructed in 1925, in memory of all the fallen from the province who gave their services in the day of our country's need. It stands tall bearing three brave soldiers and honours those who fought in World War 1 and World War 2 as well as the Korean War.

I remember my father taking my brother and me every year to the parade and then to the Cenotaph to watch as folks laid their wreaths. It was sobering even as a little girl.

My father-in-law and his brother were two of those brave young men who went off to war. 


Taken sometime in the 1940's

My father-in-law was in the Navy and his brother was in the Army. Sadly, my father-in-law lost his brother. One of my father-in-law's ships was torpedoed while he was at sea but thankfully he escaped to safety. My father-in-law never liked to talk about the war as it was probably too painful for him.


Today his medals are framed and will someday be passed down to my son who takes great pride in his grandfather's accomplishments. 

                                            Rob Johnston's photo.
Internet

We owe a great debt to those who have gone to war and given themselves to keep our country free. To all of you here at home and abroad, thank you for your sacrifice and God bless you! 
You are our heroes!



My tea today combines silver and crystal with the red of roses and poppies. 



Please make yourself at home. The lighting is very poor, sorry. It was a dreary day with high winds when I took these pictures.



I am using a special teacup gifted to me by my brother many years ago.


It is called Buckingham made by Royal Stafford of England and is very regal in its appearance. The rich black and gold make this teacup very appealing to the eye.


There is something in the nature of tea that leads us into a world of quiet contemplation of life. ~ Lin Yutang




My tea today is David's Organic Stormy Night. It is a black tea with chocolate, cinnamon, coconut, vanilla, and natural vanilla flavouring.


Teas vary as much in appearance as the different faces of men. ~ Hui-tsung


We will enjoy our tea with a couple of butter cookies topped with chocolate to nibble on. 



Just for fun, I've added my little mercury glass pumpkin to the tray.



Thank you for stopping by for tea and have a beautiful day everyone.

Thanksgiving is a day when we pause to give thanks for what we have.
Veterans Day and Remembrance Day is a day when we pause to give thanks to the people who fought for the things we have. ~ Author unknown 




I am joining the following parties as well~

 A Return to Loveliness
 Tea Cup Tuesday
 Tea Cup Tuesday
 Tuesday Cuppa Tea
 Friends Sharing Tea
 Share Your Cup Thursday
 Home Sweet Home


Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

31 comments :

  1. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi. Remembrance is so important. We are so thankful! I love your Royal Stafford...gorgeous! And your photos are wonderful. Thanks for the lovely post, hosting and linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely remembrance for today Sandi. Your teacup is very elegant, and so are the roses and silver. Very fitting for honoring our soldiers.
    Thank you for hosting, and have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely dishes and a lovely reason to celebrate and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a poignant tea for honoring your loved ones, Sandi, and for all those we need and want to remember.
    Your teacup is a beauty and the tea being served sounds wonderful. Your setting is so pretty, too, my friend. Thank you for hosting and sharing more beautiful quotes today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandi...
    What a lovely Remembrance day post.. The silver with the red roses perfectly reflect todays tribute to the veterans. The rich tones of your stafford tea set blends admirably with the spirit of the day... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandi,
    This is a beautiful tribute for Remembrance Day. Your teacup is so very rich and elegant today and my those roses in the silver - wow... so spectacular! Thank you for recognizing all those who protect us in our wonderful country! Happy Remembrance Day! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful Remembrance Day post, Sandi. The teacup is beautiful and the tea sounds very tasty. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful remembrance indeed. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sandi,

    Lovely teacup. I am sure it is very special to you and what a lovely tribute to honor our soldiers.

    Thank you for hosting,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post to honor Veterans Sandi! Thanks for hosting!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a moving and meaningful service at church on Sunday honouring the war vets and the ones that attend the church took part in the ceremony.
    My dad didn't like to talk about the war either, he was navy and contracted malaria when stationed in Bermuda. I often wonder if that had anything to do with him having polio when I was a toddler.
    Lovely tea to honour our heroes and I haven't seen this tea at Davids although it sounds delicious.
    Thank you for hosting Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi! Your remembrance tea is lovely, and the roses in the silver pot so elegant. That teacup is gorgeous, especially with that terrific sounding tea in it ready to drink! Thanks for hosting, and have a terrific week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sandi,

    What a thoughtful and poignant tribute on this Remembrance Day, honouring all those brave individuals who risk(ed) their lives to provide freedom for their fellow countrymen and women. Thank you for sharing.

    Poppy
    P.S. The tea sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely sentiments Sandi. Thank you for sharing about your family's history.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is a veteran and this is a special day for him, even though he never went to war. Thank you for your memories about veterans. Your tea flavor sounds delicious... I have never heard of it, but it sounds wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandi,

    A beautiful post..beautiful tribute to honor those remembered on this day. Gorgeous roses and the teacup is lovely and elegant. The tea sounds yummy! Happy Tea Day and thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That saying is so true. I am thankful for those who have paid a great price for the freedoms we take for granted! This is a lovely tribute and hope you week is pleasant. It is snowing here like crazy in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sandi, H was in the Air Force during the Vietnam war....Today is also our wedding anniversary....47 years and counting! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello
    journée un peu lourde de
    sentiments pour nos héros de
    14 - 18
    ils sont parties la fleur au bout du canon , fière et plein de
    courage
    et peu sont revenus tendresse
    edith (iris) France

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bless every Veteran who has courageously kept us free!

    Beautiful post, Sandi. Thank you for hosting a very favorite linky party!
    Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely post! Your Royal Stafford is gorgeous
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  23. How sad you Fil lost his brother, that must be so hard, forever. They are such amazing heroes that keep the great USA free; we cannot thank them enough!
    Thank you for the lovely tea party sweet Sandi.
    Sorry I'm so late, I got home last night from the girl's city.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the beautiful black and gold tea cup. Thanks also for the kind words. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your regal Royal Stafford cup goes well with Remembrance and Veteran's Day. My father would not discuss the war either.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sandi, what a lovely post honoring our Veterans. Your silver teapot and dark red roses go along with the remembrance so well. Beautiful teacup and your tea selection sounds wonderful! Thanks for hosting and wishing you a wonderful week!
    Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sandi! Thanks for hosting this GREAT PARTY! Love Tea Time and my kids as well!! I would like to offer you one :-) Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hats off to all brave men and women who have served and still serving for our freedom. Such a beautiful and touchy tribute Sandi.
    The lighting looks good to me, I can see the pretty tea cup clearly and the stormy night tea. Love the combo of flavours.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. your blog is very interesting, I will visit again in the next article
    obat sakit maag yang alami dan ampuh

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.