Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Monday 25 November 2013

A Little Christmas for Tea Time Tuesday



"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas..."

Welcome to Tea Time Tuesday, friends, and  Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!I would like to wish all my Jewish friends a Happy Hanukkah as well! May your holiday be beautiful and bountiful as you celebrate this week!

One month from today is Christmas Day, can you believe that? So, to start the season off, I'm sharing a little bit of Christmas for tea today.


The teapot was a Christmas gift from my son and DIL last year. It is made by Ganz and I thought it was the perfect companion to my new Christmas mugs.




The mugs are made by Spode and I found them in Vancouver last year when Hubby and I spent the holidays with our middle son and his family.


The best part; I got them after Christmas for half price! There are four of them but I will use two today. One for you and one for me.

They are each decked out with a Christmas tree on the front and a rich forest green band around the rim.


On the back is a sprig of holly and inside is some  mistletoe.



FYI:
A Little Bit of Mistletoe Folklore which I found on the Internet~

Mistletoe was a plant of peace in antiquity. If enemies met by chance beneath it in a forest, they laid down their arms and maintained a truce until the next day. This is thought to be the origin of the ancient custom of hanging a ball of mistletoe from the ceiling and exchanging kisses under it as a sign of friendship and goodwill.

According to the Anglo-Saxons, kissing under the mistletoe was connected to the legend of Freya, goddess of love, beauty and fertility. According to legend, a man had to kiss any young girl who, without realizing it, found herself accidentally under a sprig of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling.

If a couple in love exchanges a kiss under the mistletoe, it is interpreted as a promise to marry, as well as a prediction of happiness and long life. In France, the custom linked to mistletoe was reserved for New Year's Day: "Au gui l'An neuf" (Mistletoe for the New Year).
 


These mugs are so festive and very comfortable to hold. They're wonderful for hot drinks like tea, coffee, hot chocolate, or hot apple cider.

"The tea party is a spa for the soul.
You leave your cares and work behind." ~Alexandra Stoddard

My table topper is a crocheted one which was a gift from a friend years ago. I like it this time of year because it resembles snowflakes.

I put fairy lights on this little tree and tucked it into a mercury glass hurricane candle lamp.

I like the soft glow from the lights I placed inside.

..."Perhaps that is the true gift of a teatime celebration: It fills our cups with joy and warmth and friendship. May the echo of the teacup's message be heard not only at Christmas, not only on special occasions, but anytime friends come together." ~ Emilie Barnes

For our tea I have made Cranberry Squares.


These are much the same as date squares only made with cranberries instead and they are very tasty! I make these only at this time of year.



I will share the recipe at my HOME party on Wednesday.


Coming up, I will be hosting a Celebrate the Season ...Christmas Tea on Monday, December 9 and every Monday until December 23.

Here's my button if you wish to use it.


Each week, you are invited to come and join me for some Christmas tea, goodies, and conversation about this beautiful holiday which is upon us.
I welcome all your Christmas goodies, as well as pretty tea things, and any fond childhood memories you may wish to share with us.

Remember that you are welcome to share egg nog, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, coffee, or punch in a lovely bowl instead of tea if you wish. I hope you will make plans to join me often.

"Somehow not only for Christmas
But all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others
Is the joy that comes back to you.

And the more you spend in blessing
The poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing
Returns to make you glad." ~ John Greenleaf Whittier

I am joining the following parties as well~

A Return to Loveliness ~ http://www.adelightsomelife.com/
Tea Cup Tuesday~ http://artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com/
Tea Cup Tuesday ~ http://www.marthasfavorites.com/
Tuesday Cuppa Tea~ http://www.antiquesandteacups.info/
Friends Sharing Tea~ http://blog.bernideens.com/
Share Your Cup Thursday~ http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home~ http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/

Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

31 comments :

  1. Hi Sandi. I haven't even started on Christmas yet! Your new teapot is perfect with your Spode mugs. The Christmas Tree pattern is a favorite. Everything is looking lovely already! So sorry my Tuesday Cuppa Tea linky is giving you problems. Sigh...have a great week and Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandi,

    Your teapot and cups are very pretty! My sister bought the Spode Christmas teapot, sugar bowl and creamer for my aunt Jane's 50th wedding anniversary, and she loved it. Looking forward to your Christmas Tea series! Thanks for all the lovely inspiration here today!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweet Sandi! You are putting me in the Christmas spirit for sure. I love you pretty teapot and your mugs are so pretty with it. Don't you love when there is decoration inside the cup, too? I love your mini tree and how perfect in that sweet container that gives off it's own glow. I look forward to your cranberry bars for sure. Thank you for always including the sweet quotes that always make me sigh and shake my head "yes"! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Christmas Spode mugs and the tea pot. Love the small Christmas tree too with its glow....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it's my additional Tksgiving table here, but I'm all decked out around it! Your Spode dishes are gorgeous, so elegant and perfect for tea, specially the pretty teapot. Thank you for the lovely party and wishing you and yours a lovely Tksgiving.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Christmas mugs and teacups are very nice and festive.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sandi,
    what a sweet time is Christmas time. I love your Christmas tea pot and the sweet mugs. They make a pretty set. The crocheted runner and the yummy Cranberry squares complete the wonderful tea time. Thank you also for sharing always nice poems and quotes, I love to read them all. So nice to be part of your party.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear Sandi

    Oh my goodness what exquisite Christmas themed china - I'm in heaven.
    I would love one cup and I must try and fond one to use during this very special season.
    I have always bought a Christmas tea mix in the past which is lovely.

    I'm putting your Christmas button and the link on my blog.

    Thank you for hosting Sandi, I don't always join in as I haven't got many pretty cups!
    Hugs
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for letting me share your tea time with me. Love your pretty tree and the teapot has a beautiful shape,
    Hugs
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandi! I don't have a tea post to link in this week - I'm featuring my five part series on the Thanksgiving Story at Plimoth Plantation. However, I will be planning my Christmas teas once all the decor is unpacked this weekend and I deck the halls here in my own home sweet home. I love all your red transferware - so perfect for Christmas. But, the teapot from your DIL is too lovely. I've been watching Christmas movies and crafting the past two days - and taking, tea, too. Joy to you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your beautiful teapot looks wonderful with the Spode mugs...a match made in heaven! Have a blessed holiday....hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandi .. loving your Spode Christmas tea set ... Thank you for hosting. I'm so ready for Christmas and with the recent snow fall it is starting to feel like Christmas is near. xo Hugs, C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sandi, I'm so happy I could join your party today. I love your teapot and the sweet Spode mugs for your tea time today. I'm so excited for Christmas and all that goes with it aren't you? I hope you have a wonderful week. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and festive post
    Sandi! I love how cozy it all feels. Your desserts look delicious. I haven't had date squares in years!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandi,
    Your Little Christmas for Tea Time Tuesday is just so lovely. You have so many beautiful Christmas china patterns. I hope that I can participate in your Christmas Tea Times during December. Thank you for hosting Tea Time Tuesday. Have a wonderful week. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandy: Love the information in your blog today. Your Spode mugs are very cute, they match my cups. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hugs, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post as always. Thank you for hosting. Excited to see all the Christmas Goodness! I will add the new buttons to my blog this evening. Have a Blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Sandi,
    I always love the Spode Christmas dishes. I never paid attention to the mistletoe there though. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and giving us that interesting info on the origins of it's meaning.
    Your teapot is so sweet too and it looks perfect with the mugs.
    Your little tree loos so darling! What a super idea to hide the lights inside like that. Fairy lights make everything look extra special.
    Happy Thanksgiving, Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning, Sandi. I'm a day late. :)
    Love the little tree in the mercury holder. It makes such a lovely table with your new Spode Christmas tree mugs and the lovely tea pot you got last year. Can't wait to see the cranberry bar recipe. Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes and thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Sandi,
    Nice to see the Christmas China being out and about everyone's blogs. I haven't yet got to mine, perhaps this week I'll set time aside, I hope. Your mugs are sweet. I knew Mistletoe was a plant of peace but I didn't know the story of laying down the guns when enemies meet in the forest, interesting.

    Your cranberry squares look scrumptious. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely Christmas posting! I love your Spode tea set - outstanding and what a lovely gifting! Your post is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely beautiful post, Sandi - love your Christmas Spode teapot and the mugs - the story behind the mistletoe is enchanting as well as the poetry - I am delighted to join your party - I appreciate you hosting and sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your Christmas table setting. The teapot and cups are so pretty.
    I started today putting out a little christmas until Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have always liked that particular Christmas pattern. My in-laws had a set of it out all year 'round. They loved Christmas and their whole home was always adorned with Christmas dishes and decorations.

    I think I am going to bake those cranberry squares, they look delicious.

    Thank-you again Sandi for hosting tea time !

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have always liked that particular Christmas pattern. My in-laws had a set of it out all year 'round. They loved Christmas and their whole home was always adorned with Christmas dishes and decorations.

    I think I am going to bake those cranberry squares, they look delicious.

    Thank-you again Sandi for hosting tea time !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sandi, I was reading down your blog and then it suddenly struck me as OMG you're so right...only one month left. Holy smokes it always comes down to such a crunch! I'm off to England on the 10th too so it'll be an even bigger crunch to organise the Vancouver house, gather all the gifts for everyone and get over to West Cottage to organise the English house for Christmas. Whew, I think I need another cup of tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much for hosting! Your spode is just gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your teapot and teacups are gorgeous, Sandi. No Christmas decorations here yet; that will come after Thanksgiving and I'm anxious to do it. You are helping put me in the decorating mood. I'm glad I was able to join your tea party this week!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for hosting, Sandi!

    I love that pretty Christmas Holly teapot your son and DIL gave you- it does go well with your pretty other holiday china.

    God bless you and yours always.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such precious tea time shares! I am going to smile the rest of the day thinking about all your pretty treasures here. You are such a special friend to share all these wonderful quotes too. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.