Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 1 May 2013

HOME


"A house is built of logs and stone,
Of tiles and posts and piers,
A home is built of loving deeds
That stand a thousand years." ~ John Greenleaf Whittier

Good afternoon ladies and welcome to my HOME~

It is the first of May. Yay! My favourite month of the year, excluding Christmas, of course.
Now that I'm feeling better, I'm back in my kitchen more and beginning to bake again. I bought these pretty chartreuse carnations at the grocery store. I thought they were a nice change from pink. They really perk up my table!


A few weeks ago, one of my tea friends had served cornbread with her tea and I had been craving it ever since. So the other day I got out my recipe and made some.


Here is the recipe for Homesteader Cornbread which I found on-line.

Cornbread
1-1/2 cups cornmeal
2-1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean. You can also find the recipe here.



I served it warm with maple syrup and was it ever good! The nice thing about cornbread is that it can be served so many different ways! Warm with syrup as a dessert, for brunch or breakfast. You can serve it with butter, or add some jalapenos to the mixture and bake in a skillet for a tempting treat with chili. I know some also use it as a stuffing. I find corn meal to be quite versatile. I like corn meal muffins too.

Here are some posts from last week which caught my eye...

Debbie at Debbie-Dabble wowed me with her Stroll in the Park post! Love her charming figurines which she displayed above the entertainment center.



Aren't these figurines darling?


Nancy at Two Cottages And Tea shared some  lovely pinks in her home. A charming post, and what's not to love about pink! She also made a teacup chandelier.



Janet at Rosemary-Thyme shared a scrumptious Strawberries and Cream dessert; pretty and delicious!


Jeanette Ann @   Heirloom Treasures shared a lovely pram she found and laid in it a beautiful baby doll dressed in  precious lace.


And who received the most clicks on her post?
Sandra at Ravenhill Cottage shared a lovely post filled with beautiful images and thoughts to inspire.


Thank you to everyone who linked up with me. I so enjoy your visits and comments every week.
If you have a HOME related post to share please link up below and I will be happy to come and visit you. I am extending my HOME party to Sunday so you will have more time to get your post ready. Hope to see you here. Have a beautiful day and enjoy the rest of your week.


As a courtesy, please link back to me so that your visitors may find their way here to visit with all my lovely participants.

I am joining the following parties as well~

Homemaking Link Up ~ http://www.hopeineveryseason.com/
Home and Garden Thursday ~ http://www.adelightsomelife.com/
Share Your Cup Thursday~ http://jannolson.blogspot.com/
Cottage Style Linky Party~ http://lavendergardencottage.blogspot.com/
Home Sweet Home~ http://thecharmofhome.blogspot.com/
Open House~ http://bernideensteatimeblog.blogspot.com/

Sharing from my heart ~ Sandi

20 comments :

  1. Sandi!! Thanks so much for featuring me again this week!! What a surprise!!!
    I will be giving you a shout out in my next post that i will be putting up on Friday....

    Thanks for hosting each week and those carnations are so pretty!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each day you share the loveliest little moments. You even make cornbread look good. ;)

    p.s. I'd be delighted if you'd stop by and help me celebrate my first blog anniversary with giveaways. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cornbread for dessert...now, why didn't I think of that! Can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for hosting another great party...hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandi,
    Happy May Day to you! Thanks for hosting. I linked up to your Home party with my latest post but also with a May Day post I published last year. Please let me know if that is not proper Blogging etiquette (to link up to a party with an older post).
    Have a great day!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the features, Sandi! Thanks for sharing your cornbread recipe with us. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week and thanks for hosting. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, that was a great post. So many lovely things to look at. Great job! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy May Day to you, Sandi! Thank you so much for featuring my post from last week! I am so surprised and honored! You are so thoughtful to do this! I wish I had time to post often on HOME, but I do enjoy popping in and seeing what you and the others are up to.
    Blessings to you!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandi, I love a piece of cornbread every now and then. Great features. Happy to be joining in tonight.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Cornbread with maple syrup! And your images are so lovely! Happy May Day!
    sandy ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the party, Sandi! Hope you're having a nice week so far.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cornbread and now I want some for breakfast. I think I'll actually bake this right now! :) I have all the 'stuff' on hand, so why not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought of maple syrup on cornbread that sounds good! Thank you for hosting and for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the flowers and your cornbread looks absolutely scrumptious! I am starting a new link up party in a few weeks at The Pink Home. I hope you'll stop by and join. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sandi, my hubby LOVES cornbread! If he sees your lovely post, I'll be baking him up a pan.
    How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! Cornbread! I bet Dearest would love this tonight! Wonderful features! I do appreciate you hosting,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandi, It's SNOWY at my home on this May day. :-(
    Beautiful inside (and out, too, but I prefer warm and sunny). Your carnations are lovely. I've never had cornbread with syrup. We serve it with butter or plain and enjoy it with chili or ham and beans. Have a great wknd, Sandi. Although I am late, I believe I will link my Tulip Time post to Home. I'm also baking today and have a fun post for Tea Time Tuesday next week.
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sandi,
    I so enjoyed and needed your lovely post. The cornbread and maple syrup sure look good together. The figurines are amazing and look lovely on the mantel so nice of you to share Debbie's blog post and the others as well. Inspiring, thank you.

    I took time to get a few things done for tea, there is always interruptions in my life, I didn't get to the recipe, then did all I could to finish my post to be here. Funny I moved to the Island for the slower pace of life. I'm realizing a mother never slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Sandie...it's been a zoo here. Hope you're out enjoying this amazing weather. Hard to believe it's already May 4th. Sending you a ton of hugs and wishes for a great week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sandy love this. I'll have to see if Dearest would go for having a syrup with corn bread! In the south, it is oftentimes paired with savory dishes - my Southern boy loves his corn bread! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.