Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 31 October 2012

HOME



Welcome HOME friends! {Heart  Of  My Environment} I am so happy to have you join me today.

"Home is where friendships are formed and families are grown;
where joy is shared and true love is known;
where memories are made and seeds of life are sown.
This is the place that people call HOME." ~ Author unknown


What a wonderful turn-out we had last week for my first HOME party! Thank you everyone for your participation, comments, and visits. You are such lovely blogger friends!  

My heart and my prayers go out to all of you who have been affected by superstorm Sandy! I do hope and pray that you are all safe today. God bless you all!



What are little boys made of?
Snips and Snails and puppy dog tails,
That's what little boys are made of! ~ Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme


Little boys, big boys; don't you just love 'em!?!
Today, October 31, is a very special day in our family. We celebrate it because it is our little grandson's birthday. BJ is a nature lover just like his daddy and his grandmother. If there is a bird's nest, a butterfly, a salamander, or a frog to be found, he will find it and bring it home.

I get such a kick out BJ's interest in wildlife because it conjures up such sweet memories of his daddy when he was growing up!

My son is in Wildlife Conservation Technology and he is right in his element when he is caring for God's little creatures. Isn't he handsome!



Like father, like son....

                     BJ and his salamander                                                    BJ and his frog

So because it is BJ's birthday today, I am serving Snails aka Cinnamon Rolls. Where did the name Snails come from you may wonder? My son started calling cinnamon rolls "Snails" when he was just a little tyke, about four years of age, because they reminded him of, you guessed it, snails!


Here is my recipe, nothing fancy, just a comfortable down HOME treat.



Snails aka Cinnamon Rolls

2 cups flour
2 TBSP white sugar
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup milk, adjustable

Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 12 cup muffin tin well. Mix ingredients and knead. Roll out on floured surface, aim for a rectangular shaped dough. Spread on generous layer of butter, sprinkle with a mixture of about 1 cup brown sugar and 1 TBSP cinnamon. Roll dough into a log, with a strand of dental floss cut 1-1/2 inch slices {Ta-da! the easiest, neatest way to cut into rolls} or a sharp knife, and put into muffin tin. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!


Sometimes I drizzle icing over them too but I am serving them plain today.

Happy Birthday BJ!

Do you have something special which is HOME related that you would like to share with us? Any of the following are welcome....

Cooking and baking, recipes, antiquing, artwork, home decor, ceramics, crafts, crocheting/knitting, quilting/sewing, floral arranging, gardening, homemaking tips, hospitality, refinishing furniture, renos, tea time, tablescapes, thrift shopping, etc....You get the idea!
Maybe there's a new baby in the family or you have a new fur baby you would like to introduce us to. They are welcome too! Anything and everything which makes your HOME more enjoyable to come HOME to for your family, your friends, and yourself.  

I'm afraid I have been rather preoccupied with watching the news about my American friends on the east coast of the US and in Canada as well who have been affected by the superstorm Sandy, so I didn't get my thumblink account set up yet. In the meantime, please use the Inlinkz below.

As a courtesy, please link back to me so that your visitors may find their way here.

I am joining the following parties too~


Share Your Cup Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday
Cottage Style Linky Party
Home Sweet Home
Open House
Potpourri Friday

Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

32 comments :

  1. Hello, Sandi,

    My mother used to make these when I was young, but snuggled up in a pan rather than a muffin tin. We called them cinnamon twirls and I'll still make them for a treat every now and again. I do the name "snails".

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, BJ!

    And yes, he most certainly IS a handsome fella, Sandi!

    Thank you for hosting your 2nd HOME linky party!

    Also I am hating the storm is named after YOU! BOO!

    Blessings to you and yours,

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday BJ..today also is my grandsom Aaron's 8th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I send a big congratulations to your grandson from Sweden! I get so happy when children are interested in their surroundings. Personally, I encouraged the children in my neighborhood to discover and see nature. Above all, respect it and realize that it is life. I love cinnamon rolls! Your looks very yummy out. I'll bring a bun on the way back to Sweden. I wish you a great continuation of the week. Bless you! Zinnia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome as my newest blog follower! First of all, isn't being a Nana the greatest! Happy birthday to your grandson! Second, you're from PEI!!!! My Mama's family are the Gallants who still have a homestead on the west side of the island. I visited PEI for the first time a year ago. It is a lovely place, and everyone made me feel like an islander because my mama was born there. Her relatives, cousins, etc., took me right in, though we didn't know each other personally. It was a dream trip for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday BJ! Your "snails" look delicious Sandi. I have to try them. I think I love just about anything with cinnamon. Have a lovely week.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday BJ.

    I could sure use one those delicious looking snails right about now..YUM!

    What a great memory..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi you son and grandson are very handsome. I can see why your grandson calls your cinnamon buns snails. Great observation. ;) Have a great day celebrating. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope BJ had a lovely birthday. The cinnamon rolls sound simple and good - I love anything with cinnamon in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. just made them ... thanks to the fabulous recipe & just so you know they are so delicious. perfect for breakfast, a snack or just at any time of the day. who doesn't love a good treat? yummy!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sandi and happy birthday to BJ. We raised an animal loving son as well, who has a son with the same loving attitude. I love cinnamon rolls, but don't make them often. Thanks for your lovely post...and comments to me. You are a much appreciated friend! I hope the storm misses you folks up there....
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to BJ! What a handsome son and grandson, Sandi. Thanks for hosting and sharing your snails!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Snips and snails...and puppy dog tails...That's what little boys are made of!"
    What a delightful and fun post, Sandi!
    Smiles,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sandi,

    What a beautiful family. Very handsome son Sandi.. Thanks for hosting the Home Party...

    I had no way of keeping in touch with anyone...I just got my power back.. We were in the dark since Sunday evening. It truly has been a very difficult week for all of us here in the East Coast... But thankfully, my home was mostly spared from the wrath of Hurricane Sandy.. Just a lot of debris and power loss..My heart goes out to all those folks who lost so much this week.

    Blessings,

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cinnamon rolls are delicious and still much loved by my big "boys"!
    Your son is indeed very handsome, Sandi - and your grandson is a real "chip off the old block" too.
    Happy Birthday to him - I hope he had heaps of fun!
    Have a lovely day, my friend.
    blessings..Trish x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday to BJ! I enjoyed seeing photos of your son and grandson and yes, both are handsome. Your cinnamon rolls look delicious! Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both your boys are gorgeous Sandi.Love your tea pot. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sandi
    Happy birthday to BJ, a kindred spirit to the girls of our family that like nature, including frogs.
    My mother used to make a long roll and cut it into segments, your method is more of a traditional looking cinnamon roll. I made the Pillsbury ones tonight, I should try your recipe.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a joy to have such a loving and handsome son! :) Youre such a proud mommy! The delicious recipe I must try! They look amazing! Also, you are invited to my Christmas giveaway! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very Happy Birthday to BJ. Both father and son are very handsome! I hope they enjoy the snails.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sandi
    You must be so proud, and a Happy Birthday to BJ. Some of the best recipes in my opinion are the easy ones, lol. Love the frog picture of him and his wildlife collections.
    I too had a hard time pulling myself away from the news.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What lovely photos of your son and grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sandi,
    Happy Birthday to your grandson, BJ! My husband's b'day is the same day! :) Your cinnamon buns look delicious! Thanks for hosting! Have a wonderful day!
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Sandi.
    What a beautiful family, happy birthday to BJ.
    I should try your recipe, thank you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Der Sandy .. I'm so happy to join into the teatime...AHHH.. I really do need a cup of tea... and a relaxing read ...

    You really do have a very handsome son and grandson( ha ha )

    I'm also enjoying little boy visits from my grandson( three years old) so we've been pumpkin carving etc... It's a lovely " BOO " time to make the family shine with a belated ' Turkey Dinner " ...

    So I'm glad I'm not the only one making cinnamon buns... Hope mine turn out as good as yours... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sandi...your guys...dad and son are both gorgeous. And your son holding the tiny bird speaks volumes....I bet he's very kind...like his mom. That's so cute that BJ calls the buns snails. Hope it was a ton of fun....hugs to you....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I have that same teapot. Isn't it pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sandi:
    My brain was in slow gear - I didn't get here in time but did put a link to you on my "Open House". The fall photos are so lovely and those cinnamon rolls - verrrry nice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just a perfect family post! What a beautiful family you have and those cinnamon snails! Yum!
    A terrific post form a terrific lady! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a cute name for a delicious treat - yes, he is quite a handsome young man! Congratulations - Hope to join in this week - trying to get back on track!!! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those "snails" would not last long at my house! Thanks for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.