Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 25 May 2011

Oh, My Poor Tulips!

Good morning bloggers~ I am still not able to comment on most blogs today. It seems the blogs that have a certain format are the ones that are having difficulties. If you have to sign in to your Google account to leave a comment, it just sends you in a loop over and over again. It's frustrating!

Now for the ongoing saga of the crows and the tulips~



Well, the crows have broken off every single tulip in my back bed and now they are working on the other bed. We have had tulips in this bed at the top of our driveway for years and they have never bothered with it. Now, all of a sudden they are picking at these tulips too.



There were at least two tulips picked off last evening.



I'm thinking the only way I'm going to get to enjoy them this year is to cut them and bring them indoors to enjoy for a few days.




Some of you have suggested getting a big owl and putting it near the garden. We don't want to do that because it will scare the songbirds too.

Some have suggested taking down the birdbath because that is where the crows are dumping the broken tulips. We would prefer not to do that either as we enjoy watching the songbirds drink from it.

We are just heartsick over this! Last year, the black bandits pecked the begonias to death and put their food in the birdbath. They also were dancing in the silver mounds.
This year they started putting food once again in the birdbath so Hubby is no longer feeding them.

Who can understand the mind of a crow? We have fed them for years and never had any problem with them. Now it seems they have declared war on our property and us!

Anyway, the black bandits will have to look elsewhere for their dinner because our hands will no longer feed them.

Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

14 comments :

  1. Nasty crows! Something took our tulip heads off too. I never thought it might have been a crow. We have so many bunnies and squirrels around here I assume it was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crows are a nuisance aren't they? I hope they go on to more colourful pastures now that their food source is gone. Good luck! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very odd about the crows. We have more issues with rabbits eating our plants than any other outdoor creature, If your area has a store that concentrates on bird items, maybe call them and ask if they have suggestions to get rid of them. Good luck in getting that issue resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sandi...I was SO GLAD to read that other people are having trouble leaving comments, too. And comments are so important because they let you know people are reading your blog. I LOVE comments. Anyway, hopefully it will be cleared up soon.

    A pox on those black bandits. Wish we could send in a posse and lasso all of them, the little buggers. Around here, several of our tulip and daffodil bulbs got eaten for lunch by squirrels. But chicken wire salvaged several, thankfully.

    Take care and good luck with the black bandits. CAW CAW CAW Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry! I have special place in my heart for tulips. Crows are not scared away by anything it seems. Wishing you better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandi, So sorry you are having blogger problems-every now and again I can't comment on some but not too often. Those crows-I've never heard of them picking flowers before. Last year I had feeders out-I too love songbirds, but the grackles(I think they are related to crows)kept killing the small birds and dumping body parts in our yard-so this year I didn't put feeders up. So sad but after picking up, in one afternoon, 12 dead, decapitated birds I just couldn't bear it anymore. Hope you figure out the best way to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a shame about your tulips. They are so pretty. I have no idea what to suggest.

    I have experienced the same loop leaving comments on certain blogs.

    I hope you can cut a pretty bouquet of tulips to enjoy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandi,

    I'm sorry blogger is giving you problems. Yesterday, I would try to log out of my account, and it just kept looping back to my homepage. Now it's working..but I"ll pray that the problem will resolve itself, so you can comment more on peoples blogs :) :)

    Crows...mean crows for eating your tulips. That is strange...I'm not sure why they are so interested in them now. I hope they will stop pecking at your tulips!!!

    Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crows can be so mean - and loud. I hope there are a few tulips left so that you can pick them and bring into the house.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those naughty birds! Gardens are challenging - even small ones like mine. A note was on our door that Comcast would be digging in the easement by the fence in our yard. All cables are buried here - no above ground. I was horrified because I have broken rules and planted things there. It allworked out ok though - they just replaced their "box". Oh my, such challenges - these gardens and THESE BIRDS! In my case it is the squirrels I spoil with peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, yeah- I can leave a comment here! Try spraying the stems with hot pepper spray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no. I'm so sorry about the crows. They must have their reasons, but gosh! Just clip them and bring them in to enjoy, I guess.

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no. I'm so sorry about the crows. They must have their reasons, but gosh! Just clip them and bring them in to enjoy, I guess.

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.