Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Thursday 18 February 2010

A Hearty Home Made Soup

Hello friends~ Yesterday we had another snow storm; 15 centimeters or 6 inches of the white stuff fell upon our little Island. Hubby arrived home at noon because he couldn't work in that weather.

It was a good day to stay indoors and cook something hearty for supper. I decided on a tasty home made cream soup, chicken/cheese burgers, and a sticky pudding for dessert. Sparkling cranberry-apple juice in a pretty goblet added a little something special to the meal.

Candles, flowers, and we're all set. Normally I have biscuits with this soup but I felt the burgers would be more filling for a supper meal. I also layered bright placemats on the lace table cloth for a warmer look on a cool night.

When I was in High School Home Economics class, I learned how to make several delicious dishes, one was a Cream of Vegetable Soup. I thought I would share the recipe with you today. My family loves it!



CREAM of VEGETABLE SOUP

2 TBSP butter/margarine
2 TBSP minced onion
1 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup potatoes
1/2 cup frozen peas

2 TBSP flour
1 tsp salt
pepper
2 TBSP butter/margarine
2 cups milk


Wash and cut up onions. Sautee in fat until lightly browned. Add boiling water and salt.
Cut up veggies and cook with onion water till tender, about 20 mins.
Then add peas last. Cook 10 mins. longer.

Make a white sauce with last 5 ingredients. Add veggies and veggie water to the white sauce. Cook over low heat till hot. Garnish with parsley or Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings

{I served mine with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.}


I hope you will try this wonderful soup; I'm sure you will like it! Have a wonderful day everyone.

Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

12 comments :

  1. Oh your blog is looking so very lovely. The background compliments you photos in this post so very nicely.

    I'll have to try that soup. It sounds wonderful. I can just imagine the veggies on the stove now.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds yummy. I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks delicious. I think I learned the same recipe in high school home ec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy! It's really cold here.......although the sun is actually shining!....and that's a really big day in the Northwest! Warm soup would be the ticket.

    Hugs,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi,
    It has been so cold and snowy the last 4 weeks that just looking at that creamy veggie soup makes me feel warm! :) It looks delicious as well! I love the way you set your table. . .I am partial to red and white!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow more snow!! you may not want to read my blog hehehehe we are having the opposite weather pattern lol! That soup looks wonderful I learned some neat things at my Home Economic classes as well when I was growing up in Canada but when I transfered over to the USA to finish highschool they had nothing like that offered...I was surprised by that. My home economics teacher when she found out I could sew she brought all her clothing in and had me do alterations on her personal clothing for my grade ehhehehe!! while everyone else got to sew and make stuffed animals....Enjoy your warm soup and all that snow ~Spring will be here soon enough ~Blessings Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sandi
    Sorry I'm so late in coming by. I had my second round of root canal yesterday and my sweet sister was here for the day. Can't really ignore her and blog hop can I? lol
    Your soup looks delish, but your valentine table also looked very inviting.
    So glad you got to experience Vancouver. I sure miss it. They have been having beautiful blue skies these last few days....rare for sure, but good.
    Have a great weekend.
    Love Claudie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi this sounds so good on a cold day like today. Brrrr...
    Thank you for sharing the yummy recipe.

    Blessings to you sweet friend. ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I barely remember the days when I ate off real plates...I think I ate my supper off a butter-tub lid the other night...oh well...your dinner sure looks tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.