Faith Family Friends

Celebrating the Joy of Living & Home Making ~

Baking, Cooking, Decorating, Tea Time, and taking Inspiration from those I love and the world around me...

A sharing of my heart and my home from a Christian perspective

...with a wee bit of whimsy added.

Wednesday 11 November 2009

Lest We Forget~ Remembrance Day

November 11th, is REMEMBRACE DAY in Canada, a day which commemorates the sacrifices of people in all the armed conflicts, particularly World War 1, World War 11, and the Korean Conflict. It is a national holiday; schools are closed and all businesses.
We here in Canada wear a poppy to honour these brave souls. The poppy comes from a poem written by John Mc Crae, a Canadian doctor serving in the military. The poem is called Flanders Fields and describes the poppies growing in the Flemish graveyards where soldiers are buried.



IN FLANDERS FIELDS


In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.



We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.



Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you with flailing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.


~ John McCrae May 1915



I remember!


I also remember the ultimate sacrifice our Lord made for us on the cross of Calvary! And I thank Him for it!


Sharing from my heart~ Sandi

11 comments :

  1. A beautiful tribute for our veterans. Blessings!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew! We celerate Veterans Day on the 11th! I guess it's the day for being thankful for what others have done for us!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi, the poem is very moving...to take up the cause of our fallen soldiers...that really speaks to me. I was wondering if Canada also celebrated Veterans Day, and I'm so glad to know that they do...I am praying for your country as well as ours...we have the same enemy, and we know that fight not against flesh and blood, but against the spiritual evil principalities...and prayer is our weapon while our young men and women fight the battle with their mighty weapons of steel.

    God bless you, God bless America, and God bless Canada!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely tribute and a poppy to show support that is so amazing I love it, thank you so much. God bless.

    Hugs,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sandi, whata beautiful tribute!
    May God Bless them all!

    Lovely poem and the image of the poppies are just gorgeous.

    Hugs to you,
    ~Lynn♥

    ~Let FREEDOM Ring!~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that you posted the poem today...I always am very moved by it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Sandi, we do the same here. Today is the memorial of my Dad's funeral. Your pics are beautiful.

    Popover & enter our TRIPLE GIVEAWAY if you haven't. Have a lovely day. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Sandi!
    I have always so loved the Flanders Field writing. I also love the red poppies. So beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing with me today. Please stop by and read my tribute to the veterans in my family.

    Country hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sandi
    Yes we do have similar tributes to the fallen of war.Isn't amazing that the poppies
    (a red flower of all things) grow there wild in the grave yards?
    Beautiful post my friend.
    May our Lord bless you and yours.
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sandi; What a beautiful post,, and the words to the poem is so great... have a great week.

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete

I am delighted to have you visit me and I read every comment. Please forgive me for not being able to visit you all as there are so many of you lovely bloggy friends now. I will visit as much as possible. I wish you a day filled with JOY!

Also, due to the amount of spam I've been getting, I have had to set Comment Moderation. ~ Sandi

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.